Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plum0204 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Hot water does not stop coming out of the bathtub
    About 2 weeks ago the hot water was pouring out of the bathtub even though the handle was closed. I changed the hot water stem, washer and seat. The washer was chewed up and the end of the stem was pretty badly damaged. About 2 weeks later I was having the same problem, only the water was not coming as bad. I changed everything again. Does anyone have any idea what could be happening to it??

Thanks Steve
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 20, 2007, 01:14 PM
    The washer presses againist a brass seat inside the valve. The seat is probably rough and that's what is chewing up your washer. You can buy an unexpensive resurfacing tool and fix it your
    plum0204 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 01:17 PM
    No its not I just changed it about 2 weeks ago. It was a brand new one right out of the box
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2007, 08:00 PM
    You may have debris caught inside the faucet. Try to turn the water off, remove the stem and seat and close the drain and the shower curtain. Then turn the water on full blast for 5 seconds. Then go see what came out. Make sure the socket is extended outside the tile wall so you do not flood inside the wall. Sometimes the sleeve will work for this, sometimes you need a second person to hold the sleeve.
    nanobear Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2007, 08:44 AM
    I am having this same problem right now, except on the cold side. When I put my finger into the hole where the stem goes, it feels like sharded metal in there. I called the plumber and he told me to replace the T-shaped pipe in the wall. Here, that piece costs $50 and comes with two new stems. The piece comes in tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No water coming from hot water tap [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, This morning I had a shower.. no problem the water was piping hot as usual I got ready and went to work. My wife, who works nights, got up a few hours later and also had a shower... no problem. When my wife tried to run the hot water tap a few hours later to do some washing up there was no...

Nothing coming out of hot water taps [ 2 Answers ]

I have fitted a new sink in the kitchen, and had to drain the hot water tank as there was no shut off valve downstairs, when I'd finished and turned the water back on I've got nothing coming out of any of the hot taps in the house, I'm assuming that this is an air lock or blockage, but don't no how...

Hot water coming out of shower faucet by itself [ 1 Answers ]

I woke up to hot water running in my bathroom tub. Turning the faucet on and off did nothing to stop it. It was not running "full blast" but was a steady stream. The only way to stop it was to turn off the hot water tank. What would cause this? A malfunction in the faucet or is something else...

Bathtub hot water loss [ 7 Answers ]

Just finished remodel on additional bathroom. Original bathtub now losses hot water after a few minutes, goes lukewarm. Additional bath uses pex pipe attached to copper and no change made to original bath. TIA

No hot water coming out of taps [ 1 Answers ]

Not very long ago my pipes started making a horrible howling noise from the hot water supply whilst running a bath, now the hot water tap only runs for about 2 minutes and then trickles and stops and has also moved to the sink and kitchen. Our cold water remains fine. Our heating system is a...

View more questions Search