Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2013, 07:39 AM
    Ohhhh.. the evil Government is actually prohibiting healthy food from being sold in entire regions...

Yet these are the very same people you want to have complete control over your health care?
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2013, 07:44 AM
    And those subsidies are tilting the market in favor of large corporate farms, not the family farmer it was intended to help. More of those unintended consequences libs can't seem to get enough of.

You'd think that all that corporate farm welfare would have your panties in a wad, why should we be giving some multi-billion dollar corporation taxpayer dollars to keep their profits up - or not to farm at all?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2013, 07:45 AM
    Hello again, smoothy:

Ohhhh.. the evil Government is actually prohibiting healthy food from being sold in entire regions...
    **GREENIE**

Excon
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2013, 07:49 AM
    Helllo again, righty's:

When the government tilts the market, it's creating winners and losers... I thought right wingers HATED when the government did that. Guess not, huh?

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2013, 07:54 AM
    Joy was quite correct in saying that health food is no more costly than any other food . Carrots, onions, pinto beans, lettuce, mashed potatoes, bananas and orange juice are all less expensive per portion than soft drinks, ice cream, chocolate candy, French fries, sweet rolls and deep-fat fried chicken patties and other processed foods .
    Low-Cost Healthy Foods: USDA Report Finds Healthy Food Is Cheaper Than Junk Food | TIME.com
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2013, 07:54 AM
    Hello again, Steve:

And those subsidies are tilting the market in favor of large corporate farms, not the family farmer it was intended to help. More of those unintended consequences libs can't seem to get enough of.
    I've had enough. You seem to be having trouble with me AGREEING with you.

Excon
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2013, 07:58 AM
    We can start by eliminating the Ethanol subsidy... that makes food available for humans again. And your car, motorcycle and lawn tools will ALL appreciate the change. Ethanol is NOT kind on internal combustion anything.
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2013, 08:00 AM
    So are you arguing for or against subsidies, it's hard to tell?
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2013, 08:30 AM
    Hello again, Steve:

So are you arguing for or against subsidies, it's hard to tell?
    I'm AGAINST subsidies that favor big business at the EXPENSE of the consumer. And, I'm FOR subsidies that favor the people OVER big business.

Tom asked earlier, what exactly is included in the word "subsidy"? It's a good question... I've told the story about how, in the beginning, the markets were fair. Then a failing businessman called up his congressman and suggested that the congressman pass a law to make it easier for the failed businessman to make money.. And, the congressman DID...

Once those floodgates were open, COMPETITION was OUT, and BRIBING your congressman was IN.

Frankly, I liked it BETTER when the government didn't involve itself in those matters. So, I don't like ANY subsidy that distorts markets. That would INCLUDE, of course, the handout the government gives to YOU to convince you to buy your home.

Excon
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2013, 08:35 AM
    He's for handing money to Liberals and minorities and businesses that should be allowed to fail... but not conservatives or successful businesses.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 18, 2013, 09:10 AM
    I think a lot of people on welfare are conservatives, and not just lazy minorities. I think a lot of rich people are on welfare, and not just liberals. Would farms and oil survive in a free market without subsidies? Lets find out. Can people buy a house without subidies? Lets find that out too!

You can't have a free market with just supply side, and no demand, no circulation, and NO RULES that apply to everybody. You want a free market solution to affordable anything? Read that last sentence again.

Bloomy had good intentions but his implementation sucked.
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2013, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    I think a lot of people on welfare are conservatives, and not just lazy minorities. I think a lot of rich people are on welfare, and not just liberals. Would farms and oil survive in a free market without subsidies? Lets find out. Can people buy a house without subidies? Lets find that out too!

You can't have a free market with just supply side, and no demand, no circulation, and NO RULES that apply to everybody. You want a free market solution to affordable anything? Read that last sentence again.

Bloomy had good intentions but his implementation sucked.
    Lets end the housing subsidies, baby subsidies (welfare based on head count) and food stamps that Obama has made a hallmark of his presidency. See who's paty suffers worse... I'm willing to take that chance. Are the Democrats?
    Expert

Mar 18, 2013, 09:22 AM
    I am, you go first. Then we let the voters decide. Those are the rules under the Constitution. You got a problem with voting? Of course you probably do. You still think 5 million people cheated your guy in the last election.
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2013, 09:23 AM
    But none of that talk about government support really addresses the issue. I've already shown that health food is no more expensive than junk food. The issue is much more complex. I think the real issue is the culture of convenience. It's just easier to run into a fast food place or a grocery store ,and grab packages of prepared meals ;wrapped to go ,or microwave ready .

A recent study by the' Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine,University of Minnesota Medical School' found that frequency of fast-food intake was found to be significantly associated with age , gender ,and marital status of the participants .Additionally, frequency of fast-food intake was also found to be significantly associated with perceived convenience of fast food, and dislike toward cooking ,but not with perceived unhealthfulness of fast food.
    Expert

Mar 18, 2013, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    but none of that talk about government support really addresses the issue. I've already shown that health food is no more expensive than junk food. The issue is much more complex. I think the real issue is the culture of convenience. It's just easier to run into a fast food place or a grocery store ,and grab packages of prepared meals ;wrapped to go ,or microwave ready .

A recent study by the' Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine,University of Minnesota Medical School' found that frequency of fast-food intake was found to be significantly associated with age , gender ,and marital status of the participants .Additionally, frequency of fast-food intake was also found to be significantly associated with perceived convenience of fast food, and dislike toward cooking ,but not with perceived unhealthfulness of fast food.
    Yeah in talking to real people I have found that single females with kids and a low wage job don't have time to cook a proper meal, especially add to that weird hours, and high gas and babysitters, they are priced out of the markets anyway.

I guess Mickey D's looks good after a hard day and 2 hungry kids. I totally agree with the complexity of the issue.
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2013, 09:34 AM
    I am, you go first. Then we let the voters decide. Those are the rules under the Constitution. You got a problem with voting? Of course you probably do. You still think 5 million people cheated your guy in the last election.
    Really? Where in the constitution is there a right to foodstamps, subsidized housing and welfare? I had that in Civics and I was really good in that class...
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2013, 09:36 AM
    Yeah in talking to real people I have found that single females with kids and a low wage job don't have time to cook a proper meal, especially add to that weird hours, and high gas and babysitters, they are priced out of the markets anyway.

I guess Mickey D's looks good after a hard day and 2 hungry kids. I totally agree with the complexity of the issue.
    Then you will find it further complicated to know that it has nothing to do with income.
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2013, 09:41 AM
    Hello again, tom:

It's true.. My focus on subsidies is but one small part. I didn't think we'd solve it here... There are MANY components, and there's plenty of fault to go around.. I'm not looking to place blame. I want to FIX it. The first thing we need to do, is AGREE that we have a problem.. I don't see much agreement...

excon
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2013, 09:47 AM
    Maybe if we spent more time teaching kids to cook and less time teaching comprehensive sex ed they might eat healthier.
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2013, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Maybe if we spent more time teaching kids to cook and less time teaching comprehensive sex ed they might eat healthier.
    They really aren't doing a very good job on the sex ed part either based on a lot of the posts on this site.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I changed her food and she poops 3x the amount could this be due to the new food? [ 6 Answers ]

I changed my dogs food and she seems to be pooping three times the amount that she use too. She use to go 2 maybe 3 times a day now she goes like 8 times a day. Could this be due to the new food?

Why Fast food restaurants Have signs saying their food might cause Cancer? [ 2 Answers ]

I saw a sign outside jackn the box, saying that their foods are cooked in something that creates their food to have posibliity of causing cancer. My question is... if that's a risk to consumers, then why even make the food that way? Can't they cook it in a healthier form? And doesn't the FDA...

Star Wars: The Clone Wars [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone here a S.W, fan?

Dog.cat food.table food [ 7 Answers ]

I got a dog from my mother in law whom got her from a guy who got her from someone who couldn't take care of her. Well I believe she was beat and starved. When she got here she wouldn't eat or drink. She peed everywhere, and she is terrified of kids and loud people. She rarley goes to anyone beside...

View more questions Search