Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    weichel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2013, 10:56 AM
    Hvac troubleshooting questions for free
    I'm trying to help my neighbor (single mother of 2). I am fairly knowledgeable of electricity flow, voltage, capacitors, relays and such. She has an American standard HVAC. Her AC works fine. However when the heat is turned on after a few minutes the A/C also kicks on and trips her circuit breaker. I checked for burnt/loose/coroded wires. The breaker doesn't get hot. I don't know a lot about HVAC units and not sure that both should kick on or not (seems a little odd to me, to be a able to heat that the AC turn on).
    stevethomson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2013, 10:17 AM
    She has a heat pump.
    Two main things to look at.
    1. capacitor; if it looks bad; swollen, leaking then it needs replaced. Some meters have a test setting for capacitors. Check the capacitor or just replace it. Its usually under $20.00.
    2. a bad compressor; easy to check. Look it up on YouTube for step by step directions.
    Make sure you kill power to the outdoor unit as well as flip the light switch next to the inside unit.
    stevethomson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2013, 10:19 AM
    I just re read your question. The A/C works fine? Then scratch what I said. It's a bad valve inside. Need a technician to look.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2013, 04:00 PM
    What type of heat is it? Does ac ever shut off?
    edward3 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2014, 07:44 AM
    Need to find out if this is a heat pump system ? If not there is a chance you have a low voltage problem . Has any one changed the thermostat ;i.e. electric to a heat pump stat. Look inside the out door unit for a reversing valve; it will have 4 pipes going to it, one @ bottom, 3 @ the top .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Free hvac questions answers [ 4 Answers ]

How to recover r22 from residential system into the compresser so that I can change out coil then reuse r22

Hvac questions free [ 1 Answers ]

I have a split system A/C. My unit outside has frost on the pipe and will not turn on. How can I fix this problem? Is my air conditioner ruined?

HVAC Troubleshooting Questions for Free [ 1 Answers ]

Should a sewer line go through hvac air intake? Does this violate state code in Illinois? I have new dwelling, and the hvac installer has done this. I need to know if this violates state of Illinois code related to hvac installation.

Free hvac questions answers [ 1 Answers ]

My blower wheel in my AC unit is not fully turning. Its causing the coils to freeze as well and the AC will kick on outside and inside, but the air does not come through the vents. Is there a quick fix for this?

Free hvac questions answers [ 0 Answers ]

Can I go with a 8 x 14 square to oval reducer and run flex duct to the phlenum and maintain pressure I walked into a trunk that runs flesh with the wall and I no room from or extensions

View more questions Search