Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pooshifar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2013, 12:52 AM
    Accidentally started fire in apartment the fire alarm never went off ,am I responsible
    I left some stuff on top of the stove and turn on the oven but the top of stove came on and burned the kitchen up. . The smoke alarm never went off to alarm me .Am I fully responsible for paying all the cost, Is the landlord responsible for the smoke alarm working,
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 14, 2013, 01:38 AM
    You were clearly negligent, the cause of the fire, and nothing about the structure contributed.
    It may depend partly on the kind of smoke alarm. A building with all-electric alarms is one thing, individual alarms with a battery, or wired alarms with batteries, are another. You are responsible for the batteries.
    His insurance company will probably deny his claim for the structure, if the fire marshall's report says that he didn't have working alarms. Tenants need their own renter's insurance for contents that belong to them, unless the fire was clearly the fault of the landlord. You have no basis for a suit against him for your possessions, but he may have one against you, and the burden will be on you to defend yourself, based on what the fire report says about the alarms.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 14, 2013, 02:06 AM
    Did you know the alarm was not working before the fire?
    Was there a annual test of the alarm?
    If you knew it was not working, did you notify anyone.

There is no clear cut answer.

I would say expect to be liable for all for the damages since the alarm not working did not cause the fire.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 17, 2013, 07:24 AM
    Be sure to notify your insurance company. They might be required to pay the damages.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My bldg. Fire alarm smoke detector zone keeps giving an alarm even when board is rese [ 1 Answers ]

Want to troubleshoot my fire alarm system having trouble with my 5th floor smokes they keep giving an alarm when there is'nt one could it be my end of line resistor? What could it be? Need a starting point.

Fire Alarm Inspection - Apartment WA State [ 2 Answers ]

Hey everyone! I have a friend who lives in a new apartment building in Samamish, WA (less than 2 years old, they're really nice) and their apartment managers have inspected their fire alarms inside of their apartment 3 times since they moved in 9 months ago. Is this normal to inspect it this...

Fire alarm [ 7 Answers ]

What is the principle difference between class A and class B fire alarm wiring

Fire Alarm [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, About 3 days ago, a new fire alarm was installed in my condo unit. In the process, the technician turned off the breaker for the central AC unit. Yesterday I decided to turn on my air conditioner (the breaker was still off). I noticed that the guy turned off the breaker while the AC was...

View more questions Search