Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2013, 08:47 AM
    Most places I've lived... you are even entitled to a rental car while your car is in the shop for repairs... assuming it wasn't totaled.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 13, 2013, 10:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Most places I've lived...you are even entitled to a rental car while your car is in the shop for repairs...assuming it wasn't totaled.
    That depends on the coverage.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2013, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    That depends on the coverage.
    When YOU are at fault it really does matter a great deal (people never realize those dirt cheap policies leave off a lot)... but when it's the other person at fault their insurance has to pay (again... where I lived that was my eperience). But I have no doubts that's not universal like many things.. Those are set at the state level... If I was out a car because someone else hit me... and I needed to get to work... you can bet they covered a rental... or someone would be getting dragged through court to pay for it.

I've had rental car cost covered by someone with only a liability policy before that had hit me in the past. On a car I only had liability coverage on at the time as well.

But being the OP is in NY... so that may or may not apply. Its one of those things the insurance companies preffer to not mention so they don't have to pay it to people that don't push it. I had to threaten a Lawsuit in MD one time before they (the persons insurance that hit me) agreed to pay it. In Virginia... I never got a fight.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 13, 2013, 10:21 AM
    Yes, if you are making a claim against someone's liability coverage for damage to your property, then they pay your expenses in getting the car fixed as well as any costs incurred due to the car being disabled.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2013, 05:30 PM
    I'm a liability investigator - in NY. Nowhere is it written that the person rearended gets 100%. Who told you that?

I work these cases on a very regular basis.

In NY rental car coverage is an option - and the OP's insurance company would provide the rental car and then seek reimbursement from the other driver's company. It is not automatic and is covered as part of the insurance policy. I realize it varies by State.

I wouldn't venture a "guess" on this accident without knowing all the circumstances including if it was a fast stop (even at 5 miles an hour).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car accident, husband's fault/my car... other people not insured [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My husband was at fault (failure to yield) in a car accident (I am the owner) the other people do not have insurance. My insurance will cover my husband only $5,000 for property damage... damage is about $8,000 to their car. Almost 2 weeks later, passenger and driver of other car claiming...

Car Accident Totaled My Car.. Insurance Paid Out Low Blue Book Can I? [ 2 Answers ]

I was rear-ended Recently That The Insurance called a total lost on my car.. The insurance company paid me out on the low blue book On My vehicle.. The other party's Insurance has not made contact with me... I have to purchase another vehicle... I found a vehicle to purchase but the cost is...

Determining accident fault? -my parked car involved in multi car parking lot accident [ 15 Answers ]

What happens in a parking lot accident scenario: Car 1 driving (fast) hits Car 2 that is backing out of the parking lot. Car 2 because of the impact now hits Car 3 and Car 4 which were parked to Car 2s' left and right respectively. I have Car 5 and was parked to Car 3's left. My car (Car 5)...

Car accident -driver in front put her car in reverse and smashed me [ 2 Answers ]

I was sitting in my car at a red light. Traffic was heavy-ish. Suddenly- very suddenly and out of nowhere my car and the car in front of me collided with an enormous impact. I was stunned. I was shocked and confused. Prior to impact my car was absolutely stationary! My chest area ( heart) ,...

View more questions Search