Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PaulE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Recessed lights flicker
    I recently installed 5 recessed lights in my house. I used an exisitng power run. I have two breakers that are identified as "lights". I am definitely connected to one of the circuits. The new lights flicker when the initially come one... pretty significantly... and not just a couple of seconds. After they stop, I can tunr another light on, apparently on the same circuit, but on on the same switch, and then the recessed and other light flicker again for a while... I have checked the connections and they seem good... Could it be a draw problem? I am contemplating installing a new run and new dedicated breaker...

Help?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2007, 06:19 PM
    It is so hard to explain a flicker. Since you checked all the connections, that should had taken care of it. Are they incandescent lamps or compact fluorescent ?

Is there a dimmer or a switch? Are all the lights on the same switch?

Perhaps the contacts in the sockets are loose, or need adjusting, the bottom one can be pulled up a bit to make better contact with the bottom of the lamp.
    PaulE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Yes, A dimmer is installed. I find that with the initial fllicker, I can minimize it if I crank the dimmer to full light.
    cyclone1949 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 01:36 PM

I would try taking the dimmer out of the circuit and see what happens. It may be faulty. Or the dimmer may not be rated high enough for the amount of watts the lights are drawing. Not all dimmers are the same, check the wattage rating.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 03:06 PM
    These aren't flourescents by chance, are they?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Generator Install-Lights Flicker [ 4 Answers ]

After generator was installed (Generac Model 0052540 w/Auto Txfer) started to experience whole house "flicker" whenever any appliance turns on... tricky thing is, this happens even when we switch to 100% generator power. Power Co and Electrician have gone over "everything" and come up with...

Recessed lights [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently extended wiring from an outlet to 6 recessed ceiling lights in the kitchen. The lights are 50W halogen. The lights are controlled by a dimmer switch. I have double-checked to make sure the insulation is not within 3" of any of the lights. The lights/dimmer worked fine for about...

Recessed lights [ 3 Answers ]

I am putting can lights in the basement. I can't decied whether or not to put drywall on the ceiling or this new drop ceiling its made of pvc it attaches right to the floor joists and the tiles clip in. you lose 1 inch. The confusing part is how do I put the can in to make up that inch or will the...

Recessed lights [ 7 Answers ]

Good morning everyone. Started project installing 4 recessed lights in family room. I am running a dedicated circuit just for the lights, composed of 12/2 with ground 20amp breaker And 1 switch My question is the switch is a single pole rated at 15 amp, is this switch safe and OK to use,...

Lights Twinkle, and flicker at times. [ 3 Answers ]

I noticed some times my lights have a slight twinkle and flicker at times, I think this normally happens when my well pump kicks off and on. My pump is wired on its own shut off with fuses which I think my Dad said it's a 240 Volt 3 wire pump, the fuses for that are the glass kind, which are in...

View more questions Search