Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catgirl101 Posts: 71, Reputation: 2
    -

Mar 3, 2013, 03:55 PM
    Why do people say their s's with their tongue?
    Yuck. This boy (nerdy boy) named George always says his S's with his tongue. (He even spit on my shoe! Gross! ) Why can't he say the S sound correctly?? Does he need to repeat Kindergarten? Plus my little 3 year old sister Talia does it!!
    WHY!! :(
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 3, 2013, 04:11 PM
    Everyone says S with their tongue. Go through the alphabet, each letter. B - you can't say B without closing your mouth. K comes from the back of your mouth. And so on.
    Kids don't know how to keep their tongue inside, that's all.
    I had a lisp until I got to 9th grade! I had a super short jaw, and my tonsils and adenoids had given me a chronic cold years earlier, and it took a lot of effort to teach myself to keep my tongue in.
    I was teased. But I did it all myself, AND I had a fantastic vocabulary, because I studied the dictionary looking for words with no S.
    So... get over it. Don't you have more important things to think about?
    catgirl101 Posts: 71, Reputation: 2
    -

Mar 3, 2013, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Everyone says S with their tongue. Go through the alphabet, each letter. B - you can't say B without closing your mouth. K comes from the back of your mouth. And so on.
    Kids don't know how to keep their tongue inside, that's all.
    I had a lisp until I got to 9th grade! I had a super short jaw, and my tonsils and adenoids had given me a chronic cold years earlier, and it took a lot of effort to teach myself to keep my tongue in.
    I was teased. But I did it all myself, AND I had a fantastic vocabulary, because I studied the dictionary looking for words with no S.
    So... get over it. Don't you have more important things to think about?
    You know what I mean. He says S like he says TH

And isn't that rude? Your talking to a 9 year old. I'm curious and I can't find anything on the internet!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 3, 2013, 04:58 PM
    I WILL be stern with a 9 year old who has nothing but yuck, nerdy, gross, and 'put back in kindergarten' for people who CAN'T HELP how they talk.
    It wasn't anywhere near as rude as you were.
    Plus - I did explain why they say TH, but you chose to not really read what I wrote.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 3, 2013, 05:07 PM
    Don't be so harsh with a 9 year old who has a flaw he may well grow out of. We all have flaws we have to work on. Are you perfect yourself? Its rude to judge others for their flaws or shortcomings.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 3, 2013, 05:13 PM
    He may have a speech impediment, he may have a forked tongue, you have no idea what his problems are, and calling him a nerd, and being rude to him, is bullying, and mean. Your age is no excuse for that!

Your post made me very upset. I thought children were taught that bullying is wrong, to treat people with respect and understanding. Obviously that's not what you're being taught!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 3, 2013, 07:58 PM
    It's called a lisp. He can't help it. He was born that way.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 3, 2013, 08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    It's called a lisp. He can't help it. He was born that way.
    Exactly. But the OP can help the way she's acting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Help tongue piercing [ 1 Answers ]

I had my tongue pierced 4 days ago and today I woke up with a ball in my tongue next to the hole where I have the piercing it looks like dry blood but it doesn't feel like dry blood and it doesn't go away I wanted to know if its normal because I'm outoof town and I can't go and see my piercer :(...

Tongue piercing [ 4 Answers ]

I got my tongue pierced yesterday, and I understand swelling is normal. My tongue is really swollen but when I went to tighten the bottom ball I noticed the top of my tongue is rock hard... it starts at the ball and then there is a "line" that goes all the way to the tip of my tongue. Is this...

Pigmentation of the tongue [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I've had pigmentation on my tongue for at least a decade (brown spots on the tip of my tongue and some on the side) they are not painful or bumpy. My dental hygenist said its normal in some people and its similar to having pigmentation on the face. However, she also told me to keep an eye on...

Tongue [ 2 Answers ]

I just got why tongue periced 4 days ago and I have an indent on the top of my tongue where the ball is is that normal?. and when can I change my ring?

Tongue pericing [ 2 Answers ]

:confused:im 17 I really want my tongue periced. My mom thinks its sluty. I can go get it myself but I don't want to do it behind her back. What can I tell her to make her OK with it?

View more questions Search