Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WKENNEDY Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 01:47 PM
    How will Quit Claiming a Deed to me allow me to refinance a mortgage in my name only
    I am living in a relatives home and paying rent. My relative wants to Quit Claim the deed to me so that I can refinance the mortgage in my name. My relative has not lived in this home for over a year and she wants to get rid of this obligation a cheaply as possible. How can we do this, legally? (In Georgia)
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 19, 2007, 02:00 PM
    The way you've described it, your relative would be selling the home to you. The quit claim deed transfers your relative's ownership of the property. It sounds like there is currently a mortgage on the property, so you would apply for a mortgage now for the purchase of the property. When the mortgage is ready for closing your relative would provide a deed and the title closer would use your new mortgage to pay off the current mortgage.

This is not a simple transaction so I strongly recommend that you retain an attorney to handle it for you, or at least have it handled by a title insurance company. They will take care of the paperwork, including the title search, payment of taxes and closing fees, mortgage payoff and transfer of title.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 19, 2007, 09:08 PM
    You will not be able to quit claim the deed over to you until you get a new mortgage, what you are doing is not a re-finance since you don't have an old mortgage, but you are going out to get a new mortgage and you are going to BUY the property, they are offering to sell it to you on a quit claim deed ( If I was buying it I would prefer a warranty deed but a quit claimwill do. But you can't transfer ownership with an existing mortgage on it, the mortgage now on it,has to be paid off to be properly transferred to a new owner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Doing Quit claim deed yourself [ 1 Answers ]

My husband wants to add my name to the title of his house and I want to do it myself by buying a Quit claim deed form. After I purchase this form and fill it out and have the proper signatures what do I have to do and where do I go to have it legalized. Please advise. Thank you, Mistyrita:)

Refinance current mortgage [ 4 Answers ]

I owe 52k on first mortgage (payment = 469.00- including tax & insurance-int.rate 6.5 I owe 13k on second (3yrs left at 400.00 a month. I owe 7k on credit card I can refinance for 72k for approx 570.00 a month, 30 yrs... at cost of 1686.00 for re-finance at int rate of 6.375, I have...

Refinance mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I claimed Chapter 13 Bankruptcy 2 years ago and have been paying. We will not be paid off for another 3 years. Our current mortg. Is a 20 year and if we could get it to a 30 year our payments would be lower and that would help with our payments. The current lender is not...

Quit deed [ 1 Answers ]

My name was on the refinancing papers but how come my wife's name is only on the deed?

Corrective Deed, New Quit Claim Deed, or See an Attorney? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a major problem with a quit claim deed that was done regarding my father's property. The intention was to put me in the deed but as an heir to the property, not as a co-owner or anything like that. So, a quit claim deed was filled out and recorded at the clerk of the circuit court. However,...

View more questions Search