Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Curtis Wilson Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

Mar 3, 2013, 10:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    I used to accept the whole "possessed vs oppressed" thing, until I realized that the Bible makes no such distinction. The Greek term is just "demonized." No degrees of difference, no distinction between believer and unbeliever, just "demonized." If the demon is there, it needs to be gotten rid of, believer or no. That's as much as I know, except that I have encountered believers who were pretty severely demonized. Helping a group of fellow believers expel one of them was NOT fun, in fact it was one of the scariest things I've ever seen. And the other person I've seen in this situation refused to believe it was a demon and not God's spirit, so as far as I know, now some 30 years later, he's still in that condition. I can't say for sure, because I lost track of him after I testified at a custody hearing when his wife divorced him, and he promised to kill me.
    "fact it was one of the scariest things I've ever seen." That is exactly what this demon wanted to do, to cause fear!! Get rid of the fear and you will get rid of the demon. Faith moves God, Fear moves the Devil!!

Curtis
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2013, 11:31 AM
    Dave,

So oppression is the same as possession? Is it the same greek word? Very scary.

So in your opinion it MUST be expelled or is walking in the spirit the key to having it leave.

Haunting,

What are your thoughts concerning possession vs. oppression?
    Mcsap9213 Posts: 99, Reputation: 10

Mar 3, 2013, 11:45 AM
    When a person accepts Christ as their Saviour , the are I dwelt by the Holy Spirit( part of the trinity of God).

I do not believe that a true Christian could be demon possessed at the same time that Gid is living within them.

The lady in question was in a church but that doesn't mke her a Christian.

Do I believe that a demon can oppress , tempt , cause pain , physical suffering and torment to a true Christian ? YES. Look at the book of Job. Job was greatly afflicted by Satan but not possessed.

Being a Christian is a daily battle of good vs. evil. Right vs. wrong. Godly vs. ungodly. Being a Christian is hard work if they are living for God. Satan would love to drag us down with him in any area he can. We have to focus our thoughts upward and keep looking forward to the Rapture when we will be removed from the earth and will become true citizens of heaven.
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2013, 11:48 AM
    Mcsap,

I get exactly what you are saying. Here is my thoughts... in the last 2000 years it is hard to believe that someone who is possessed hasn't wanted to receive the Lord Jesus as their savior. When they did... what happened to the demonic spirit? I believe we are sealed with the spirit of promise the second we believe as Paul stated in Ephesians.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Mar 3, 2013, 01:10 PM
    Classy - Dave is right, the original Greek is literally "demonized" and it makes no difference between those who belong to God and those who don't. As I said earlier, I think you have to make a lot of assumptions when saying a Christian cannot be demonized.

Very clearly there is a difference between oppression and possession (demonization). Two different words entirely.. both in english and the greek. I have experienced demonic oppression more than once. I might even say that most of what Christianity experiences is just oppression and not possession. Extreme oppression sometimes can be hard to tell apart from possession... which might be where be get a lot of our confusion.

As a mentioned earlier, when I received Jesus as Lord, I felt something leave me. However, I do not believe I was possessed.

Everybody might be operating on different definitions. In a case of actually demonization, I think the Christian would have had to really willingly give a lot over to Satan to find himself in that position... and then you have to also ask, at what point can one loose salvation? You see there are just a lot of assumptions we have to make in a conversations such as this.
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2013, 01:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    Classy - Dave is right, the original Greek is literally "demonized" and it makes no difference between those who belong to God and those who don't. As I said earlier, I think you have to make a lot of assumptions when saying a Christian cannot be demonized.

Very clearly there is a difference between oppression and possession (demonization). Two different words entirely..both in english and the greek. I have experienced demonic oppression more than once. I might even say that most of what Christianity experiences is just oppression and not possession. Extreme oppression sometimes can be hard to tell apart from possession...which might be where be get alot of our confusion.

As a mentioned earlier, when I received Jesus as Lord, I felt something leave me. However, I do not believe I was possessed.

Everybody might be operating on different definitions. In a case of actualy demonization, I think the Christian would have had to really willingly give a lot over to Satan to find himself in that position...and then you have to also ask, at what point can one loose salvation? You see there are just a lot of assumptions we have to make in a conversations such as this.
    I totally get what you are saying. Can I asked what in the world happened for you to be so oppressed? Were you into the occult?

Mar 3, 2013, 01:27 PM
    No, I don't mind. I was actually raised in a Christian home. I just didn't live it. I wanted to do everything except be a Christian. The oppression didin't really start until most of my life was surrounded by Christian influence... my friends, girlfriend, music. As these things began to fill more of my life, the oppression grew tremendously. It didn't have anything to do with the occult... I just gave the devil a LOT of footholds in my life... footholds he didn't want to give up.

I also would like to add, this is where I get a lot of my symphathy towards those that post in the paranormal forum. When someone says they sense evil in their home... I've felt that. That is why I so easily agree with them that it is possible... it's a feeling you can't describe. It's a fearful, evil. Godless atmosphere that can manifest when a demon is near.
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2013, 02:58 PM
    I have had many people describe this feeling and I do believe it. Ok now can I asked you... did you ever think you accepted the Lord as your savior growing up in a Christian home? Did you ever tell your parents or people you were saved? I don't know why that is important to me. I suppose because I have a stepson who I helped raise and although he is living like the devil, he professed to be saved when he was younger. I thought it was.real and it could be. I know when I was in my 20's I didn't always behave like a saved woman, and I was. Did the people close to you think you were saved?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 3, 2013, 07:07 PM
    Im having a hard time following the debate / question here. The reason being that we know that the devil visited with Jesus in the desert. So it shows by example that even in the presence of god the devil can appear. So why then is it such a stretch that a good person (with god) can't have dealings with a demon. It is not always a persons choice. Think of a demon as a leech. Its not something you want but when you least expect it they attach to you. Sometimes the strength of prayer can drive them out and sometimes it takes a little more. Just like when we get sick we sometimes have to go see a doctor.
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2013, 05:57 AM
    cdad,

I was raised to believe that the Holy spirit could not and wouldn not dwell where a demon dwells. When a person gets saved we are told they are sealed with the Holy Spirit the minuite they believe. I have always believed it was impossible... I am learning otherwise.

Mar 4, 2013, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    cdad,

I was raised to believe that the Holy spirit could not and wouldn not dwell where a demon dwells. When a person gets saved we are told they are sealed with the Holy Spirit the minuite they believe. I have always believed it was impossible...I am learning otherwise.
    Remember, the Holy Spirit is on there inside of a believer, demons only try to oppress on the outside. The Holy Spirit and a demon can not live in the same body. You either have light in you or darkness, not both.

Curtis
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2013, 10:23 AM
    Curtis,

I hear you. But dwashbur and hauntinghelper say that the greek word is the same for possession and oppression. So does it matter? I guess that is my question.

Mar 4, 2013, 10:41 AM
    Curtis,

I hear you. but dwashbur and hauntinghelper say that the greek word is the same for possession and oppression. so does it matter? i guess that is my question.
    Oppression is when some one is being influenced by a demonic spirit. But that person is still in control of his/her mind and body.

Possession is when some one is not in control of there mind and or body.

A Christian is either walking in the flesh or in the Spirit.

Curtis
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 4, 2013, 10:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Wilson View Post
    A Christian is either walking in the flesh or in the Spirit.
    So you are saying it is the Christian himself who allows himself to be either possessed or oppressed?

Mar 4, 2013, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    So you are saying it is the Christian himself who allows himself to be either possessed or oppressed?
    Yes... That is why Jesus always said "fear not". When you operate in fear you are asking for trouble. The opposite of faith is fear, faith moves God, fear moves the devil.

Curtis
    angie21hernande Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2013, 12:25 PM
    Our Pastor cleared this question not long ago. No it is not possible for a demon to live in the temple of God, which is our body. This Woman needed prayer because She had a horrible demon inside of Her, that only the Lord could make that creature leave. It is possible for demonds to surround us and try to make us fail God yes that happens everyday, but If we truly have the Holy Spirit in us, then it is not possible, for one to enter our body.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2013, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    Oppression is when some one is being influenced by a demonic spirit. But that person is still in control of his/her mind and body.

Possession is when some one is not in control of there mind and or body.
    But these are not biblical terms. The only term in the Bible is "demonized." That's the whole point, so you haven't really answered ClassyT's question.

Mar 4, 2013, 04:01 PM
    Curtis,

I hear you. but dwashbur and hauntinghelper say that the greek word is the same for possession and oppression. so does it matter? i guess that is my question.
    Classy, forgive me if I wasn't clear... both in english and in the original greek there is a difference between demonization (possession) and oppression.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 4, 2013, 06:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Wilson View Post
    Yes.....That is why Jesus always said "fear not". When you operate in fear you are asking for trouble. The opposite of faith is fear, faith moves God, fear moves the devil.

Curtis
    I have a problem with this definition. The opposite of faith is disbelief. To me at least the oppisite of fear is love. God's love of mankind and its creatures is what is preached in many bibles. Love is very powerful. It is through God's love that we gain grace and strength.
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2013, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    Classy, forgive me if I wasn't clear...both in english and in the original greek there is a difference between demonization (possession) and oppression.
    OH! I am so confused! Ok that changes things in my mind. Thank you for clarifying that for me

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search