Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Sdnana0712's Avatar
    Sdnana0712 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 2, 2013, 06:15 PM
    Filing Tax For OPT(F1 visa) holder
    I worked in CA under OPT (F1 visa) from August 2011 to June 2012. I am trying to file taxes for federal and state income 2012. I came to the States in January 2007 under F1 visa and 2012 was my sixth calendar year. I came back to my country permanently in the middle of June 2012.
    My questions are...
    1. I do not have address in the states. Is it okay to put my country's address when I file taxes?
    2. Which forms do I need to use for filing CA state income tax? Since 2012 was the sixth calendar year, I am considered as a resident alien for federal income tax purpose. But I am not sure if I'm considered as a resident or nonresident alien for CA state income tax purpose.

    Thank you very much for your help!
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Mar 2, 2013, 10:30 PM
    1. You can file from India and give your India address.
    2. For 2012 you are resident for federal purpose.
    3. You earned while you were in CA so you are part year resident of CA for 2012. For CA form, check CA website.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,815, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Mar 3, 2013, 06:19 PM
    Given your student status, you can probably make the argument that you were a NON-resident of California instead of a part-year resident, but you still have to pay taxes for wages earned inside of the California state borders, so the tax will probably be the same.

    Both the IRS and California allow you to file electronically using an address in India IF you choose to file as a resident for all of 2012 for the federal return. Hopefully, you kept your U.S. bank account open for direct deposit of the refund.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L1 Visa holder in US Filing Tax Returns [ 7 Answers ]

I travelled to US in August 2009 and will stay here for 10 months. I am married and my wife has not travelled with me and will not be coming in future as well. I want to know if I can file tax returns for 2009 as married and claim tax benefits.

Tax filing for L2 dependent visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Sir I am an L1B visa holder and I have been here in US for the last 19 months. I had filed my returns last year. I recently got married (5 months back) and my wife is with me in Newjersey. She is not working. I have applied for her ead and hope to get it by this month end. I can get...

L1 visa holder - tax filing procedures [ 12 Answers ]

Hi I came to USA in march2007 with my wife and son. I am a L1 visa holder and my wife and son are in L2. Am I a resident or non resident alien? My wife doesn't work but has SSN . Am I eligible for Child Tax Credit? I want to ask which status we should file. Can we file jointly? Thank you

Tax withholding for F1 visa holder on OPT [ 5 Answers ]

I just finished my education from Atlanta and while on an F1 visa will start working in NYC under my OPT at the end of which I will leave the country and return to India. While I was working on campus, I did not have to pay state taxes and the federal taxes that were deducted at source would be...

TAX Exempt for OPT/H1b visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

I have been working in New York from November of 2005 with OPT visa (F-1) and got H-1 visa in October, 2006. I was told I should file tax as a non-resident for 2006 but I'm wondering if I can still claim exempt as a student for the time I worked as a OPT holder. (I did not claim it for 2005) And...

View more questions Search