Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    whatzup's Avatar
    whatzup Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 2, 2013, 04:18 PM
    J1 visa wrong tax form filed by tax office(1040 instead of 1040 NR) what to do Now??
    Hi I am in J1 (resident Physician) since 2010. I have J2 wife as dependent. I was going th a tax firm to help me file tax return. I realise they were filing wrong form for me for last 2 years. 1040 instead of 1040 NR. I think due to that I got more return than I am supposed to. What should I do now please help?
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Mar 2, 2013, 10:34 PM
    For 2012 file resident tax return.
    You may have to file amended tax returns for 2010 and 2011 if IRS questions your returns.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,815, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Mar 3, 2013, 06:21 PM
    You amend using Form 1040X and attaching a properly-prepared Form 1040NR and Form 8843 to the Form 1040X.

    If you are from India, you can claim your wife as a dependent on the Form 1040NR.

    If you believe that you will need professional help filing these amendments, this IS what I do. Please double-click on my name (Atlanta Tax Expert) above to access my profile. You will find my email address in the signature portion of the profile (scroll down to the BOTTOM of the page).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filed 1040 NR twice on J1 visa, should I use Form 1040 this year? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have worked as a research fellow on J1 visa and have filed Form 1040NR in 2009 and 2010. I was wondering if I am allowed to file with Form 1040 as a resident alien this year? Thanks a lot

Wrong Tax form filed by f-1 student. Filed 1040 instead of 1040NR. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am in a dilemma and I will really appreciate your help. I am a student/f-1 visa holder (non-resident alien). Last week I used an online website (File my taxes for FREE! with FreeTaxUSA) to file tax returns and realized that the website used Form 1040, and PA-40 - 2007 (for...

Noneresident / filed wrong tax form 1040 instead of 1040nr [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I live in Europe and own real estate in California since 1984. Between 1984 and 1990 I have lived always more than 180 days in California. My daughter was born in 1990 and the wife and I only have visited the state of and on during the year. Until I got married to my wife I was always paying...

Which TAX form I have to submit 1040 or 1040 NR [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was on F1 status from Jan-2006 to May-2006 and had no income. From June-2006 to current I am on OPT status. I worked from August-2006 to December-2006 on OPT status. Which TAX return form I have to submit? 1040 or 1040 NR or I have to submit 1040 and 1040NR separately. Thank

Please help - amending tax returns - wrong forms (1040) filed [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am new to these forums - but seeing the responses, I am sure that I will get some much needed advice. My situtation is this: I was an Indian Student on F1 from July 2003 to April 2006. (My H1-B visa was approved to become effective from April 2006.) I...

View more questions Search