Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prglor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2013, 10:20 AM
    Connecting Directv to a Flat Screen TV
    I am trying to connect my model d11 directv receiver to a flat screen TV. When I do a channel search, it only finds about 4 channels, different every time I search. I've tried the coaxial cable connection from the receiver to the TV and the video out/in connections and get the same result. Also, none of the buttons on the receiver or the remote do anything when pushed, nor does the red reset button on the receiver. What am I missing here?

By the way, I contacted directv and they said I had to buy an hd receiver ($120) and pay $20 shipping and pay $6 a month for receiver. - unacceptable! A directv support person on their forum told another customer they did not have to buy a new receiver to connect to their flat screen TV
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2013, 11:15 AM
    That's because you don't go through the Coaxial connector or use the TV tuner...

You go through the HDMI output of the box and into one of the HDMI inputs of the TV.
    prglor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2013, 06:13 PM
    There is no HDMI output on a D11 box. Only the coaxial output and video outputs.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2013, 05:54 AM
    If you have Coax, then you only need Channel 3 or 4 on the TV, The Receiver does the Tuning of Channels.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2013, 05:58 AM
    If your box doesn't have HDMI output... your next best choice depending on what's available is as follows.

1. HDMI
    2 Component Video (Red Green Blue separate plus left and right audio = 5 cables)
    3. SVideo (small round connector with a few pins in it plus left and right audio cables)
    4. Composit video ( generally one video cable and left and right audio = 3 cables)
    5. Modulated video (via coax and TV tuner)

#1 is the best quality video... #5 is the worst.

The highest up that list you box can support is the best available until you upgrade your box..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Emerson 20in LCD Flat Screen. Model No. EWL20S5C with split screen [ 5 Answers ]

Hello,I have an eight month old Emerson 20in LCD Flat Screen. Model No. EWL20S5C My sound is great. My picture is distorted. Seems it has a divided screen. With little movement of the actual picture. Colors are way off. And none of the controls work except for channel up and down work, but very...

Flat screen TV [ 1 Answers ]

What do I look for in buying a 55 to 60 inch TV < I want quality yet looking for under 1200.00 is that possible?

Connecting DIRECTV satellite to TV and DVD/VCR combo [ 2 Answers ]

I just got DIRECTV satellite. I have older TV's. I have a DVD/VCR combo and DVR satellite receiver for one TV and an individual VCR, individual DVD player, and satellite receiver for the other TV. I have the RF modulator, but I don't know exactly how to hook them up. Can anyone tell me how to...

What is a good flat screen? [ 4 Answers ]

So I'm looking to buy a flat screen TV, and I have a few questions, but first let me tell you how I will use it. It will be used to play games on (xbox 360 atm) and to watch movies. I want the best HD possible which I think is 1080p? Im looking at some tv's on best buy's site, and I'm confused on...

Flat screen TV monitor [ 5 Answers ]

Is it possible to hook up a CPU to a 40'' LCD Samsung TV? I want to use the TV as the monitor. What components would I need, wireless mouse, keyboard, cpu etc. etc. What cables would I need?

View more questions Search