Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MONIQUE653 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2013, 07:41 PM
    Help with writeoffs for 1099 employee
    My husband is a 1099 legal videographer, he videotapes legal depositions all over Southern California, we live in Laguna Hills, he drives usually on average 130 miles per day, on occasion as far as 400 miles, how much can he legally write off for mileage, I heard it was 55.5 per mile. Also what other write offs can we deduct besides his work related business equipment, DVD's, etc. Can he write off his lunches where he has no choice but to eat at a hotel where they are filming a deposition in a conference room,(this gets costly) also taking his Boss out for dinner and gifts, if he wants to work he HAS to do this! What about medical expenses for me his wife a dependent, my medical and dental was extremely high in 2012,
    Can he write off all the toll road expenses he incurs everyday?
    I need some advice here because last year when we did our taxes all the tax guy would let us write off was his mileage, his work related items, paper, pens DVD's. Also the dinners we have taken his boss and her husband out to, can we only deduct 50% or the whole bill?
    I need some advice here, we did not pay quarterly taxes because last year he started working as a 1099 in June, this is the first year he has worked like this and we really don't know what we are doing. We do not pay a mortgage or rent, our place was a gift from my parents so we cannot write that off, any advice will be much appreciated
    scott53715 Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Feb 25, 2013, 09:07 PM
    I'm not an accountant, but what I do, as a small business owner that gets most of my income from a few clients is: I submit bills in the company name, and file IRS Form 1040 Schedule C, Profit or Loss from Business. Take a look at the form and instructions; it'll help you figure out how to itemize expenses. As far as entertainment (taking someone to diner, yes only 50%, because you are eating too.) Look at 1040 Schedule A, Itemized Deductions, which covers medical and dental expenses (limited to the amount exceeding 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.) Yes, you'll benefit from an accountant, but looking at the IRS 1040 long form and related schedules will better prepare you and save time when you meet with your tax advisor. Self employment has its challenges. Figuring out what you owe, and how to pay less is difficult.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099 employee [ 12 Answers ]

I will be starting a part-time job doing some accounting work and the company that is hiring me said they will be giving me a 1099 form instead of w-2. I realize I have to pay taxes on my own, but I have the following questions: 1. Do I have to pay taxes quarterly? 2. Since I don't own this...

I am a W- 2 employee and make a small amount as a 1099 employee. [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently a W- 2 employee and also make a small amount as a 1099 employee. If I get laid off from my w-2 job will I be able to collect any unemployment? I am located in Maryland. I made less than 3,000 at my 1099 job last year.

Employee with W-2 and 1099? [ 3 Answers ]

Owner of a company received the money for the office rent. Does he have to received 1099?

Working as a w-2 employee and a 1099 employee at the same time [ 2 Answers ]

Can you work for the same employer at the same time as a w-2 employee and a 1099 employee at the same time. Example selling insurance at an agency getting paid on w-2 for the clerical work and 1099 as for the commission on sales of the insurance from the same desk?

View more questions Search