Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dons BBQ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2013, 11:45 AM
    Smell in bathroom
    We have a light "off" odor in our bathroom. It could be sewer, but because it is not strong it is hard to tell. The smell could be something else. Also because it is a faint smell, it is very difficult to identify the source of the smell beyond the room.

Here is some back history.

We recently purchased a home and had extensive remodeling done. Nothing of concern was identified in the area during the remodel. In the bathroom, the only thing that was not changed and brought up to current code was the bathtub and the tile above the tub (shower walls). During the remodel, we did not identify any previous water stains and there was nothing to indicate water damage had been present anywhere in the bathroom. We have not opened up the walls, so I cannot comment on anything there. This bathroom is on the second floor and there is no damage to the ceiling in the room below. The "wet wall" of the bathroom on the second floor lies in the middle of the ceiling for the room below.

When you put your nose to the bathtub drain, it smells like shampoo. No discernible smell on the shower walls.

We have new tile floors and a new toilet. The grout around the toilet on one side appears darker and looks wet compared to the other grout. The feel of the grout is that it is dry. When you put your nose to the darker grout, it doesn't smell different than the other grout. The grout on the other side of the wall is normal looking.

There is no apparent "gurgling" when you drain the tub.

Any ideas on where to investigate next?
    grencha Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2013, 12:31 PM
    Second floor so maybe check the vent pipe outside which should be on the roof for blockage. I am not an expert of any kind just a little experience.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 20, 2013, 01:54 PM
    Can you check the attic if there is one? Dead mice have a unique smell, as does their excrement. Any animals that might get in.

A remote possibility that the vent wasn't reconnected in the attic before going out the roof, so sewer gasses are drifting into the attic. A remote possibility that the wax ring under the toilet wasn't seated properly and you have just the tiniest of leak that dries up before it gets to the ceiling below.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smell in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

I have a very strong smell of cabbage in my bathroom, it comes and goes randomly even through out the night.

What would cause your bathroom to smell [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know if the cause is the same in my situation, but my bathroom is smelling like a dead fish. The toilet flushes and the drains flow just fine. I don't have a septic system. We live in the city. Would I do the same thing? Turn off the water and poor bleach in my toilet and such as you...

Smell in bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

The very first drain of water (either from the sink or bath shower or bath tap or commode shower) generates a very bad smell like an underground drain. Please guide to solve. I have checked the trap below the sink its OK. Is there any trap for the bath shower/tap and for the commode shower?

Smell in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Have a strong foul smell in bathroom. Put a bag over the sink and tub drains and am still getting smell. This leaves the commode? How can I check my backvent(is this correct term)

Smell in new bathroom [ 6 Answers ]

We have never had any problems with smells in our 3 bed bungalow in Spain, until we had a new bathroom built next adjacent to the old bathroom. The new bathroom pipework was connected to old bathroom wastepipe which feeds into a septic tank (100metres from house). The old bathroom does not smell,...

View more questions Search