Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Kaddler's Avatar
    Kaddler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 19, 2013, 05:27 AM
    Claiming son on taxes 2012
    My ex husband passed away in oct 2012. I was granted full custody of our son. When I went to e file my taxes it was rejected as to the step mom claiming my son on their joint return taxes. When I called her she informed me she didn't claim my son but my deceased ex husband did. Is this legal or should I fight it?
    smoothy's Avatar
    smoothy Posts: 25,495, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

    Feb 19, 2013, 06:25 AM
    October means that was 10 months out of the 12 for the year he was paying support.. they get that deduction for the year.

    Not that he is gone... so is the support and you will have that deduction this year
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,815, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Feb 19, 2013, 09:26 AM
    What smoothy says is accurate provided the divorce decree did not did not dictate which parent claims the child.
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Feb 20, 2013, 12:21 AM
    Only the custodial parent can claim the child. It does not count who paid child support. The custodial parent is the parent with whom the child lived for the longer period based on the nights spent. The other parent is the non-custodial parent. Non-custodial parent can claim the child only if the custodial parent signs a release Form 8332.
    If noncustodial parent claims the chid, the noncustodial parent gets exemption deduction and child tax credit, but not the head of household status and EITC.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,815, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Feb 20, 2013, 08:30 AM

    What you say is true EXCEPT when the divorce decree says otherwise.

    The divorce decree is a legal document and contract (which both federal appeals courts and federal tax court has ruled) the IRS must abide by.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2012 taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Does my child qualify for EITC? He was born Sep, 22 2012. If so can I also file for Head of Household.

H1B + H4 + Baby 2012 Taxes [ 5 Answers ]

Please help me with info on filing taxes and tax return. I came to the US on Aug 2011 as a student on F1 visa, my wife came with me as F2. After graduation in May 2012 I started working on OPT until October 1st when my H1B kicked in and my wife is H4 (she doesn't have SSN or ITIN yet). Also we...

How do I find out if someone file me on their taxes this year 2012 [ 1 Answers ]

What will happen to the person? Can I do self employment?

Can I claim deceased husband's son on 2012 tax returns? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband died in March. I plan on filing jointly and would like to claim his son as a dependent also. I believe it is my right as this would have been his fathers year to claim him via court. His mother insists that I have no legal rights since the father was incapable of contributing towards his...

Claiming son on taxes if he has a child [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My 20 year old has been living with me since mid-2006. He is going to college and I will be claiming him on my taxes as I am now supporting him. He has a child (he is not married, nor lives with his child). Can I legally claim him. He is not going to file for 2006. Thanks, aroles

View more questions Search