Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guscusi Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2013, 04:09 PM
    Income Tax Refund
    My daughter is 19, she lives with us, is in college and only earned $1,800.00 in 2012. She received the W2 which shows Inc Tax Withholdings of around $120.00. We claim her as a dependent. How can she get a refund of that withholding, since her income is not sufficient to pay Income Taxes..
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Feb 14, 2013, 06:19 PM
    She would need to file her own tax return. She would indicate on the return that she can be claimed as a dependent by someone else, so she would not have an exemption for herself. She should be able to get all the withholding back since her income is less than the standard deduction.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 14, 2013, 06:30 PM
    Agreed; she should go to online TaxAct.com; they should let he efile for free.

Feb 14, 2013, 09:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Agreed; she should go to online TaxAct.com; they should let he efile for free.
    Thank you for your reply, but my question would be then, if she is our dependent, can she still file a 1040?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 14, 2013, 09:45 PM
    She WOULD have to file Form 1040 to file a return with claiming her own exemption, but the Online TaxAct program (TaxACT | Free Tax Preparation Software, File Taxes Online, Free E-filing) should be able to handle that with no problem.

Feb 15, 2013, 06:12 AM
    She WOULD have to file Form 1040 to file a return with claiming her own exemption, but the Online TaxAct program (TaxACT | Free Tax Preparation Software, File Taxes Online, Free E-filing) should be able to handle that with no problem.
    Great,. I use the PAID version of Taxact for our tax returns, so I am familiar with the program. So, you are saying that, even if we claim her as a dependant, she can also file her tax return and get that Inc. Tax withheld back?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 07:37 AM
    Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Her standard deduction will more than offset the income, resulting in ZERO taxes.

Feb 15, 2013, 07:52 AM
    Great!! Thank you so much for your help!

Gus
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 08:03 AM
    Glad to help!

Feb 25, 2013, 06:22 AM
    Hi, I'm back. This is sort of a dumb obvious-reply question, but just in casee, here it goes...

Following the above topic, we agreed that my daughter will file her tax return, to try to get a refund for the Inc tax wittheld.

She also received a 1098-T (around 5000 Tuition and 4000 Scholarships). We (mom & dad filing jointly) cannot benefit from tax credits or education-expense deductions due to our AGI "phase-out" and the fact that we will use the standard deduction instead of Itemizing.

But, on the other hand, I guess she cannot include that info either, since WE are who paid in full for tuition and she is our dependent. I guess she must just leave college expenses and scholarships blank in her tax return,. correct?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 25, 2013, 06:50 AM
    It does not matter what she puts on her return for the Form 1098-T because the tax software will not let her claim any education credit if she does not claim her own personal exemption.

Feb 25, 2013, 07:37 AM
    It does not matter what she puts on her return for the Form 1098-T because the tax software will not let her claim any education credit if she does not claim her own personal exemption.
    Do you mean that, since she is still our dependent, she will not claim personal exemptions, and therefore, will not be eligible for any education credits or deductions, correct?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 25, 2013, 11:46 AM
    That is correct!

Feb 25, 2013, 12:02 PM
    That is correct!
    Thank you so much!!
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 25, 2013, 01:44 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishment of income tax refund [ 1 Answers ]

Currently my wages are being garnished, does this mean they will also garnish my tax refund?

Collectors (law office) Garishing Income & Income Tax Refund? [ 4 Answers ]

I live in the Atlanta, GA area and I brought a house last spring. This summer I start receiving mail and phone calls from a law office regarding a credit card that was closed over 10 years ago, but I paid some money on it after that. So, it has been over 7 years,but a few month under 10 years. ...

Income tax refund [ 2 Answers ]

How can I stop student loan companys from taking my income tax refund?

Income tax refund [ 4 Answers ]

Good afternoon, I would like to know if I will receive a tax refund from my unemployment benefits, or am I just getting a refund from the months that I was employed in 2008. I know that they take taxes out of my unemployment check, but am I entitled to those ? I know that I have to include that on...

Garnish income tax refund? [ 4 Answers ]

My bank account has been garnished. Can they also garnish an income tax refund due me? My taxes are due soon, and I'm not sure whether I should file for another extension, or what I can do to prevent the refund being garnished. Thanks, Lil

View more questions Search