Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stealth189 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2005, 07:21 PM
    Shower/tub Drain Problem
    I have a major problem finishing a unfinished bathroom in my basement. There is the access hole in the foundation but no drain was put in there. The drain pipe runs down the wall from the upstairs bathroom but putting a tee onto it above the foundation would put it higher than the drain in the tub. I looked at chipping the concrete out around the pipe and teeing it in under the foundation but there is not enough room because of a 90 about 3 inches under the slab. I'm at a loss of what to do here I not sure what the builder was thinking when he put this in. The tub/shower was already in the bathroom just not plumbed. As I'm sure you can tell I'm not a plumber I'm just wondering what my options are now. I'm about too the point of riping out the shower and not worrying about putting one in. Any ideas would be great. Oh yea if anybody needs pictures to understand what I'm talking about I have some taken.

Thanks

Jeff
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 24, 2005, 06:04 AM
    Shower/tub Drain Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by stealth189
    I have a major problem finishing a unfinished bathroom in my basement. There is the access hole in the foundation but no drain was put in there. The drain pipe runs down the wall from the upstairs bathroom but putting a tee onto it above the foundation would put it higher than the drain in the tub. I looked at chipping the concrete out around the pipe and teeing it in under the foundation but there is not enough room because of a 90 about 3 inches under the slab. I'm at a loss of what to do here I not sure what the builder was thinking when he put this in. The tub/shower was already in the bathroom just not plumbed. As i'm sure you can tell i'm not a plumber i'm just wondering what my options are now. I'm about too the point of riping out the shower and not worrying about putting one in. Any ideas would be great. Oh yea if anybody needs pictures to understand what i'm talking about i have some taken.
    Thanks Jeff
    Good morning Jeff,
    Save yourself the trouble of taking out the cement around the stack and teeing off to pick up a tub/shower. Ya can't do that! All plumbing codes, local ,state and universal, forbid discharging a major fixture, such as a toilet, past a minor unvented one, such as a tub or shower.
    Have you dug out the access hole and checked for a trap that's buried or a 2" pipe that terminates near the hole that you can install a trap on?
    A typical basement bathroom group rough in goes like this. A 4" main is run from the stack to pick up the toilet. A 4 X 2" fitting is installed in the line downstream from the toilet to pick up the lavatory with a tee which then continues on up to the roof to vent the group. A 2" fitting is installed in the lavatory drain line to pick up the tub/shower that is wet vented by the lavatory vent. The toilet also vents through thr same vent.
    I find it rather hard to believe that you would have left a access hole without a pipe being run over to it. If the plumber wasn't going to plumb to it why install the hole at all? You didn't say but I'm assuming the rest of the rough in is in place. Keep on looking. My bet is that the pipe is down there somewhere. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower leaking (shower drain pipe?) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I will apologize up front for my lack of knowledge in plumbing... but I know enough that I believe that I can fix this problem without having to add on the expense of calling a plumber. I noticed that there were a lot of ants coming into our bathroom. After laying traps and having no...

Rebuilding Shower - Leveling new shower drain? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have come to the postings to get some help as I am a novice plumber. I've gutted my ensuite tilled shower down to the floor. In whacking out the cement pan, and I assumed that I've probably cracked the old drain so when I got to the wood floor I cut away the older PVC 2" piping back...

(Another) Odor from basement shower drain problem [ 3 Answers ]

I know, not another question about shower drain, but I have a problem. I have searched this forum, and read some helpful tips for getting rid of the odor from the basement shower drain. The problem is, about two weeks ago for the first time since I have moved into my house (8 months ago) I...

Leaking of drain from shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I noticed that my shower drain was leaking under house. I don't know much about plumbing but want to know what could cause this and how it can be fixed. Thanks

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search