Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    dkr's Avatar
    dkr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 12, 2013, 07:31 PM
    H1B Tax Filing
    I have been in the US on a H1B visa since the beginning of 2012 and need to file my taxes. I am married but my wife, who has got a H4 visa is still in the UK - do I file jointly or does my wife actually have to file despite not being in the US?
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,815, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Feb 12, 2013, 08:25 PM
    You can file jointly; your wife's location is irrelevant.

    She has to sign the return AND probably the Form W-7 for an ITIN, but that can be done; it just takes a bit of time.

    If you believe that you will need professional help filing this year, this IS what I do. Please double-click on my name (Atlanta Tax Expert) above to access my profile. You will find my email address in the signature portion of the profile (scroll down to the BOTTOM of the page).
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Feb 12, 2013, 11:49 PM
    You file joint return as residents. You will attach W7 (ITIN applicatin) with your tax return. You must both report your worldwide income.
    You must both declare your worldwide income for 2012. If you have any foreign income, and on that income you paid taxes in the foreign country, then you can claim foreign tax credit (Form 1116).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Opt to h1b tax filing married filing jointly? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Myself and my husband both entered USA in F1 visa in sep 2009 Sep 2009 to Sep 2010 - F 1 visa October 2010 to sep 2011 - opt period Oct 2011 on wards H1B. We got married in May 2011. We work for the same company full time in both OPT and H1 B. But during our OPT period we also...

OPT to H1B Tax filing-SS tax refund? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian citizen. Arrived in US in Aug 2003, on OPT from Jan 2006 and on H1B from October 1st 2006. I started working in Feb 2006 in California. Throughout the year in 2006 Social security , medicare and disability taxes were deducted from my paycheck. Will I get a refund for these...

H1B tax filing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi.. Iam on H1B and I fall under resident alien and my husband is may fall under non resident aien. I have few questions about my tax filing this year. 1. Can me and my husband file jointly as resident aliens? 2. Should we file as jointly or married filing separately? 3.He worked only for 2...

2007 Tax filing Self:H1B, Spouse: H4 - H1B [ 3 Answers ]

Really appreciate all the help you guys are providing here. I did search through the forum and it did enhance my tax knowledge a bit. Please go through my story and let me know your suggestions. *Was on F1 student from aug 2001 to June 2006 and was filing 1040nr/1040nr-ez all those years. *Left...

H1B Tax Filing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I arrived in the US on H1B status last June 30, 2006 together with my wife and son who are on H4 visas. Then on Sept. 1, 2006 my wife gave birth to our daughter. We never left the US since we arrived. 1.What are the detailed steps that I need to take when filing my income tax?...

View more questions Search