Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JARIXA Posts: 95, Reputation: 3

Feb 10, 2013, 01:37 PM
    What is wrong with my laptop??
    My laptop has been slowing down for the last couple of days. Then yesterday I turned it on and it went to a gray screen. But today I try turning it on and the screen is completely black!! :( What happened? What should I do? Did I BREAK it?! :(:(:(:(
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2013, 06:25 PM
    Have you ruled out battery and/or charger problems?

Feb 11, 2013, 05:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smearcase View Post
    Have you ruled out battery and/or charger problems?
    My charger works but the screen is black:(
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2013, 01:51 PM
    I don't really know very much about actual computer operations. But I have some experience with the power issue.
    Do you have any indication that there is power on in the laptop, such as indicator lights lit etc? How are you able to determine if the charger is working as I am assuming you have no way to check battery charge level or have any kind of indication that it is charging? You are not assuming that power is OK because it was charging just before the problem or because battery level was OK just before it the problem arose- correct? Batteries and chargers can fail instantly without any warning- That's all I am trying to say here.
    My laptop went into a black screen a few months ago and the problem turned out to be a bad charger. I realized that the charger was most likely bad because it had been plugged in for a considerable time before it went black although it still could have been battery failure.
    Tell us how you know it is not the battery or charger being the problem and maybe one of the computer experts will come on here with some other advice.

Feb 11, 2013, 01:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smearcase View Post
    Do you have any indication that there is power on in the laptop, such as indicator lights lit etc?
    Well when I try to turn it on the light claims it is on. And the same with my charger
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2013, 02:29 PM
    One (or two)possibilities- then I will stop. The battery could be so low on power that it could only have enough to light the small indicator light--- and the battery could be low on power because: 1) The battery is now defective and can no longer hold a charge OR 2) because the charger is defective and is not charging the battery.
    If you go to Staples and ask them if they will check your charger (maybe battery too)-- but tell them that you want to check before buying a charger or battery-- they may check it for you for at no cost. They did for me (universal charger was around $ 60).
    Or if you have an electrical multi-meter, you can check to make sure you have DC voltage output from the charger-- but only if you have the skill level to safely do so.
    That's all I have. Good luck.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 11, 2013, 03:12 PM
    There is a ribbon cable that can break. It goes between the main board and the screen of the laptop. You might want to consider taking it to a computer shop near you and let them check it out. Some laptops are a real pain to separate. Its best left to someone who does it a lot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My laptop is showing wrong and or multiple letters when I am typing! [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently using the on screen keyboard which is a time waster! To give a better idea of the problem, here's an example; if wanted to write "hello im lost can you help me?" it would appear as... jhcel'l'o kim l'oswt cean you jhcel';p mce?

Can a hard drive from a Compaq laptop fit in a Dell Laptop? [ 2 Answers ]

So here's the thing, I own a Compaq laptop and my screen broke. So instead of buying a new screen, I'm getting a Dell laptop from a friend because his hard drive went out and he doesn't want it anymore. So I want to swap the hard drive from my compaq with the one in the dell. Will it work?

How do I reboot my laptop because I have forgot my password to sign in to my laptop [ 3 Answers ]

How do I reboot my laptop beacause I have forgot my password to sign in to my laptop

Windows7 professional,laptop password is wrong:( [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, how can I reset my windows 7 professional password,or bypass it sothat I can get in to reset it that way I was reformatting the laptop then after setting it upi had to leave and shutit down, now when I start it up it says the password I put in is wrong ivetried it in caps and not and even...

How do I unlock my laptop keyboard - it types the wrong thing! [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, My Sony Viao laptop has some weird setting where you can change the keyboard letters to type numbers or symbols. I have no idea how I made this turn on and cannot figure out how to turn it off. Currently, if I type the letter "U" for example, the screen displays a 4. HELP!

View more questions Search