Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    garboozle Posts: 139, Reputation: -5

Feb 3, 2013, 01:43 PM
    Does debt get reassigned after a divorce?
    You know how in marriage your debt becomes your partners and vice versa? Say my mom racked up a 5,000 dollar doctor bill. Would this no longer be my dad's debt as well if he divorces her?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 3, 2013, 01:47 PM
    Debt is a personal matter and isn't normally "reassigned" in this manner.

In your example the $5,000 debt of your mum stays with your mum, unless there's an arrangement in the divorce settlement.
    garboozle Posts: 139, Reputation: -5

Feb 3, 2013, 02:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Debt is a personal matter and isn't normally "reassigned" in this manner.

In your example the $5,000 debt of your mum stays with your mum, unless there's an arrangement in the divorce settlement.
    Okay thanks, I was just wandering if my dad was going to be responsible for paying it since it occurred while they were married
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2013, 11:29 AM
    Where? Community property States are different.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2013, 12:49 PM
    It depends on the laws in your state and also on the terms of the divorce decree. The medical establishment where your mother received the services will probably consider her responsible and would come after her if it's not paid with collection actions. However, particularly if there's a disparity in their incomes and he earns more, your father could be ordered to share in the debt or even to pay all of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cancellation of debt in a divorce [ 1 Answers ]

1st Question: Taxpayer and spouse owned a primary residence. Refinaced the mortgage and used proceeds for personal use. Received 1099-C for $ 200,000 after the short sale. The exclusion for the Principal residence does not apply because the money forgiven were for personal use , they ought to try...

Debt and divorce [ 5 Answers ]

My ex husband and I took out a 2nd mortgage in 2000. We have since divorced (2002) and the house went into foreclosure from him. I was recently contacted in regards to the balance on the second mortgage and how they were going to collect it. What is the worst case scenario if I don't pay? Won't...

Divorce debt [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there. When my ex-husband cheated on me and divorced me, we both agreed on who would pay for what... I would take the two credit cards(which I had to do credit counseling for) and my school loans, and my car payment. He said he would take his truck, our mortgage, and all our other debt which...

Divorce and debt [ 2 Answers ]

I am recently divorced. In the divorce paper my ex is to pay all the debt including my credit cards. Before my divorce we enter agreement with debt management co. to reduce the amt of payment each month. In the meantime one credit card co. refuse to deal with debt management co. and has now filed...

Divorce and debt [ 1 Answers ]

If my wife and I get divorced how would the credit card debt be settled. She and I have our names on each of our cards

View more questions Search