Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    sunnyisland36's Avatar
    sunnyisland36 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 30, 2013, 04:40 AM
    Tax exemption for J or H visa holder
    My husband came to the US in 2007 on a j1 visa as a resident .In September of 2011 he transferred to a Hlb visa and is now working as a physician.Is he entitled to any tax exemption whether as a h or j isa holder? He ia from Jamaica
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,815, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 30, 2013, 05:10 PM
    For the FIRST year only (2007), he is entitled to a $7,500 treaty exemption.

    The second year (2008), he must file as a non-resident alien, filing Form 1040NR-EZ.

    In BOTH years, he must also submit Form 8843.

    Starting in the third year (2009), he can file jointly with you and you both sign a statement CHOOSING to be treated as resident aliens.

    For 2010, you both are treated as resident aliens for tax purposes and can file electronically like any other U.S. citizen.

    If you believe that you will need professional help filing this year, this IS what I do. Please double-click on my name (Atlanta Tax Expert) above to access my profile. You will find my email address in the signature portion of the profile (scroll down to the BOTTOM of the page).
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Jan 30, 2013, 10:45 PM
    H1-B is work visa; you must pay taxes like a U.S. citizen or resident that is you do not get treaty deduction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file tax for geen card holder and H1B visa holder? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am a green card holder and married my wife who is on H1B visa. Which is more beneficial to file a married joint tax return or separately? Or does it matter at all when I petition for her own green card later on. Thanks in advance for your help.

How to file tax for newly married H1B visa holder and wife on H4 visa [ 1 Answers ]

I'm working in US for the past 3 years and I got married on OCT 19 in India. My wife came here on March in H4 Visa. Please help me in filing tax for H1 visa jointly with my wife.

J1 visa - tax exemption [ 3 Answers ]

I am a British Doctor going to USA for a fellowship on J1 visa with my family (Alien Physician). Am I tax exempt!

J-1 visa tax exemption, change status to H-1B visa? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I'm from Thailand and holding J-1 visa. For J-1 visa I can exempt tax for 2 years. I'm wondering how's tax payment after 2 years in two different status. 1. If I extend J-1 visa, do I need to pay tax back for the first two years? 2. If I change to H-1B, do I need to pay tax back...

Dependent tax exemption for L1 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US in oct 2006 on L1 visa. My wife and son came in Dec. I started paying for their medical insurance since oct. Now I have received my W2 form. Can I claim my wife and son as dependents to get the tax benefit. I assume I need to file 1040NR form filing jointly with wife. Which...

View more questions Search