Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ncgirl_21 Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

Mar 17, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Morning after pill
    I took the morning after pill recently and ever since then Ive been really sick to my stomach I know that it is a side affect but should it last longer than 24 hrs? Also does this pill only work on females 17 and under? We decided that I should take the pill to try and prevent me from getting pregnant cause of a slip up cause our wedding is only 6 months away so if I end up pregnant it'll be OK because we really want a child but we were trying to wait until after the wedding.
    DrHanson Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Mar 17, 2007, 02:20 PM
    #1---"really sick to my stomach I know that it is a side affect but should it last longer than 24 hrs?"

The length of time that the symptoms occur is variable depending upon the woman they can range from a couple of hours after taking the pill to a week. The most common adverse events in the clinical trial for women receiving Plan B (morning after pill) included nausea (23%), abdominal pain (18%), fatigue (17%), headache (17%), and menstrual changes.

#2---"does this pill only work on females 17 and under?"

The morning-after pill is a form of emergency birth control used to prevent any woman from becoming pregnant after she has had unprotected vaginal intercourse. The pill is only approved by the Food and Drug Administration as an over-the-counter medication to women age 18 and older; however, women 17 and younger can take the pill but they require a prescription to purchase it.

Dr. H

If you find my answer especially helpful - and/or money saving - and would like to show your gratitude with a financial contribution, click the "Support This Member" button to send an amount of your choice.
    ncgirl_21 Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

Mar 17, 2007, 03:02 PM
    OK thank you for your advice it was very helpful, I was just curious about the age because on the box it said for women 17 and younger and I'm 21 so that had me a little concerned. Thank you once again.
    DrHanson Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Mar 17, 2007, 03:06 PM
    You are very welcome.
    mwoodard1982 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 08:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ncgirl_21
    I took the morning after pill recently and ever since then Ive been really sick to my stomach I know that it is a side affect but should it last longer than 24 hrs? Also does this pill only work on females 17 and under? We decided that I should take the pill to try and prevent me from getting pregant cause of a slip up cause our wedding is only 6 months away so if I end up pregnant it'll be ok b/c we really want a child but we were trying to wait until after the wedding.
    I took the EC pill years ago. I got horribly sick I could barely stand up long enough to get to the phone to call my boyfriend. Be quickly brought over some anti nausea medication and some good fluids. The puking and what not it a normal reaction. What the EC pills do is cause you to overdose on hormones basically. This makes you sick. Some people will be nauseated longer than others. I am sure I would have been sick for days had he not gotten that medicine. If anyone who reads this is interested the best thing to do (I was told after) is to eat bread or crackers before taking your second dosage. It really left me out of whack for about 3 days with the side effects. But it worked! I was 18 when I took it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Morning after pill [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there I took Ovral 21 morning after pills... 2 pills and then another 2 pills twelve hours later. I took them on April 22nd and now its May 10th and I just started getting some VERY light spotting today and now its stopped. Is this a sign my period is coming ? ...

Morning after pill [ 2 Answers ]

I wonder if you could help. I finished my period Friday 16th Feb, had unprotected sex at around 4.00 a.m. Sunday morning. I took the morning after pill Monday a.m. at 9.00. Since Tuesday I have felt a bit sick, last night had a bleed, and today bleeding more, my boobs are also tender. My...

Morning after pill [ 1 Answers ]

I took the morning after pill on the 7th and had bleeding on the 11-15, was that my period?? Do I need to be worried?? Thanks

Morning after pill [ 4 Answers ]

How long after taking a morning after pill should I expect my period?

View more questions Search