Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbarbra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 08:03 PM
    Assuming Real Estate Loans
    Hello! I currently live in a home that is owned by my mother. (who does not live here). I would like to buy the home from her, but she would rather wait a few years to sell it. Is there a way for me to assume the mortgage and the property tax bill? That way she can retain ownership of the home for a few more years, but I could get the tax deduction on my taxes (the mortgage interest and property tax deduction)? Is this at all possible or is it just wishful thinking. We live in NY and she does not want to sell because she gets another income from a apartment on this house.
    Basically she is OK with me paying the mortgage and I will pay the property taxes and claim the deductions. She will keep the income from the other tenant and then give up ownership when she retires. She only owes about $60,000, and the home is worth about $330,000. I would pay the current mortgage and then take out a new one when she is ready to sell for the remainder.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 16, 2007, 08:14 PM
    No there is no way to do that, You can pay the mortgage and the taxes FOR your mother but you can't get the tax deduction.

You would have to have the deed in your name to have the mortgage in your name.
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Mar 18, 2007, 05:25 PM
    Will you inherit the property when your mother dies? If so, it is in your best interest to leave the property in your mother's name. The property will be valued at the stepped up value of the date of death. This will keep you from paying taxes unnecessarily. I am no tax expert that's for sure, so please talk to one. Thoughts?
    LO903 Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Apr 19, 2007, 06:01 PM
    I am not that familiar with New York, but possibilities you might want to check are...

Talk to the Lender about the mortgage, they might allow you on the mortgage, but you would have to be on the deed. You and you mother could own it both (joint tenants with right of survivorship)... meaning that if one were to die, the other AUTOMATICALLY owns the property...

Depending on your credit, etc. the lender may allow you to do this.. then you can claim the interest on the mortgage you are paying...

It also has some long term benefits... when your mother decides to sell to you, she may avoid some gains... but... I AM NOT AN ACCOUNTANT OR AN ATTORNEY... so check, but I thought it was worth mentioning...

HTH,

M
    rrennaker Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2010, 12:53 PM

There is are two methods called contract for deed and a quit claim deed where you mother can sign the deed over to you
    rrennaker Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2010, 12:59 PM

From wikipedia, here is the definition of a Quit claim Deed.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

Property law
    Part of the common law series
    Acquisition
    Gift · Adverse possession · Deed
    Conquest · Discovery · Accession
    Lost, mislaid, and abandoned property
    Treasure trove · Bailment · License
    Alienation
    Estates in land
    Allodial title · Fee simple · Fee tail