Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kathylee57 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2013, 08:49 AM
    Basement floor drain backup when kitchen sink used
    Hello - Our garbage disposal was clogged up and my son plunged the heck out of it while I was at work. He heard a "whoosh" and in our basement furnace room, the floor drain had flooded up and over the floor.

I cleaned it all up.

My question is - we have run all toilets, sinks, washer, and showers and nothing happens. But when we use the kitchen sink, the floor drain backs up in the basement.

Does that mean that the kitchen sink is still clogged somewhere? If it were the sewer, wouldn't all water usage make the floor drain flood?

Thanks for any ideas
    Kathy lee
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 18, 2013, 09:19 AM
    Does that mean that the kitchen sink is still clogged somewhere?
    Yes.
    Apparently the basement floor drain is on the kitchen drain line before it connects with main sewer.

Snake the kitchen drain line.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Floor Drain Backup? [ 2 Answers ]

My house built in 1924 has a problem with the floor drain in the basement backing up occasionally. The floor drain is cast iron and makes such a radical U-bend that you can not get a snake through it. There is not a clean out in the basement either, at basement floor level.I have snaked the main...

After Snaking, Basement floor drain and utility sink still Bubbling & Backup [ 0 Answers ]

Basement floor drain and utility sink will bubble then back up when kitchen sink is drained or washing machine empties. We have a small single story ranch built in 1952 (lived in since ’93) with original cast iron sewer plumbing. The kitchen is directly above the laundry room and drains into...

Basement drain backup after Kitchen sink did [ 2 Answers ]

Help!! This evening, my kitchen sink backed up... which I used liquid plumber to unlcog it and it worked... then when I went into the basement, the drain in the wash room was backed up with stuff all over the place. I have a plumber on the way. My brother tells me that it is most likely the tree...

View more questions Search