Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    browningdp Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2013, 03:09 PM
    Red wire, black wires, white wires
    I am currently changing a ceiling fan and putting up a chandalier (black smooth wire, black rib wire, and ground) instead. In the ceiling I have 1 white, 1 black, 1 red, and 1 ground. The wall switch area use to have 2 switches (one for ceiling fan light and other for fan) however all we need is 1 switch (dimmer switch - 1 black wire, 1 red wire, and green ground).

Where the wall switch is supposed to be there are 3 white wires capped off to each other (never connected to prior switches). There are 3 black wires (1 live - 1 daisy chained to electrical outlet, and 1 that goes to light outlet in ceiling. There is also the red wire.

What I think I should do:

For the switch connect the black to the blacks, then connect the red to the red and green to ground. For the chandalier connect the smooth black to outlet black, and the ribbed black (normally connected to white) to the red wire, the ground to ground and cap off white outlet wire. Please help

Jan 11, 2013, 03:10 PM
    Help

Jan 11, 2013, 03:43 PM
    Help
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

Jan 11, 2013, 04:37 PM
    Here's what I would do: take the black cable from the dimmer switch and connect it to the live black wire in the box; connect the red from the dimmer to the red going to the light fixture box. Leave white wires capped in the box, and connect all bare/greens together.

At the light fixture box: connect the smooth fixture wire to the red wire in the box, connect the ribbed fixture wire to the white neutral wire. Connect grounds together with a wirenut. Cap the black wire in the box with a wirenut and leave it separate.

As always, make sure the breaker is off before you do any work.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 11, 2013, 07:23 PM
    Browning,

The new chandelier, is it a swag chandelier with a plug on the end of the cord? If it is, then you cannot connect the cord to the ceiling wires, the cord on the lamp must be removed. The smooth black is the hot and the ribbed black is neutral

The ceiling wires would normally be Black - Fan Hot. Red - Light Switch. White Neutral.

Jan 21, 2013, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_in_rure View Post
    here's what i would do: take the black cable from the dimmer switch and connect it to the live black wire in the box; connect the red from the dimmer to the red going to the light fixture box. leave white wires capped in the box, and connect all bare/greens together.

at the light fixture box: connect the smooth fixture wire to the red wire in the box, connect the ribbed fixture wire to the white neutral wire. connect grounds together with a wirenut. cap the black wire in the box with a wirenut and leave it separate.

as always, make sure the breaker is off before you do any work.
    Thank you Kyle, Your answer really helped. Sorry to let you know so late, been ill with this crazy virus.
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

Jan 21, 2013, 08:32 AM
    Glad to hear it helped.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 white wires & 2 black wires from ceiling, how do I wire ceiling fan? [ 4 Answers ]

A one switch ceiling fan with 2 white and 2 black wires from the ceiling. How do we wire fan? The switch has only one black and one white wire. The fan has one white, one black, and one black/white wire.

How to wire a light fixture with red black and white wires [ 2 Answers ]

Installing outdoor light fixture. Fixture has a white, a black and a green ground wire. There are two switches and a sensor in the garage. The wiring on the wall outside the house to the fixture has a red, a black and a white wire. How should the wires be connected for proper operation of the...

Red white black wires to black black and green wires [ 0 Answers ]

How do I hook up a submersible pump with red white black wires to black black and green wires

Three white wires & three black wires to dimmer switch with 2 black wires - Help! [ 2 Answers ]

I'm installing a new dimmer switch and when I removed the old on/off switch, I found 3 white cables all tied together and 3 black cables. I know that the cables also connected to the light switch in the guest room. I just don't know what to do with my 2 black wires from my new dimmer switch, and...

I kneed to figure the wire sequence on a pullchain with black,white,red & blue wires [ 1 Answers ]

I replacing a pull chain on my ceiling fan with one from the local hardware store as one is not available from the manufacturer, it is a 4 wire 3 speed pull chain with L& 1,2,3 I need to figure the wire sequence on a pulchain with black,white,red & blue wires, also the old pull chain was letters...

View more questions Search