Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hotcheeetohbabe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2013, 08:21 AM
    Help! Dog separation anxiety!
    OK so I'm 24 years old. I live with my parents... and I have a 2 yr old boston terrier. He is completely fine when I leave for work in the morning at 7 am... and I come back at 330. My parents have another boston terrier his age that he plays well with all day. However, when I leave anytime after I come back from work he acts up. If I leave him treats, he won't eat them until I'm home. He barely eats his dinner. He keeps my parents awake until I get home, he will barely sleep (at night).. he refuses to go inside my bedroom until I'm home. He waits by the door. And there's been 2 cases that he's bit my parents when I haven't been home for no reason. He has NEVER bit me. Please help. I know he has separation anxiety. He gets crazy excited when I get home. And if I leave without saying "you be a good boy" he whines like crazy and scratches at the door. Help me, its driving my parents more crazy than it is me but I need to help :[
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 9, 2013, 09:46 AM
    He has no anxiety when you go to work all day...
    Dogs are creatures of habit. They love routine and ritual. So do your 'be a good boy' good bys, and add another minute of ritual acts to leaving. A certain toy, a certain ear rub, nuzzling faces, whatever it takes, even a certain spot to say goodby. I always say 'be a good dog' too, several times, in a cooing way, and also 'I'll be back!' after I close the door (I can see through the glass) and that helps my dog a lot.

As for biting while you are gone, and keeping people awake, your parents need to assume some alpha behavior. If they can't or won't, I would put a dog crate by the front door, about 3' to the side, and put him in it! Start that and go out for only an hour at most, and gradually add time, so that he doesn't bark incessantly.

Either that or find your own place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog anxiety [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old staffie, she has been spayed and is brilliant around people. In the past we have a couple of instances where she has been aggressive towards strange dogs on walks. She has never bitten but has given warning snaps! Witnessing this has turned me into a mervous wreck and now I find...

Dog with separation anxiety. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a newly rescued 1 1/2 year old irish wolfhound. I've had him for about 3 weeks now and he has already caused me to want to pull my hair out. He has EXTREME separation anxiety issues. I can't leave the house for even a second (not even to step out and grab the mail) without him jumping at...

Dog sitting anxiety! [ 2 Answers ]

A friend of my wife and I went on a family vacation and we are dog sitting his english bulldog. Skud is usually laidback and docile but since his family lives half an hour away from our home, we decided to take him into our home for the week. Since his owners left he cannot seem to relax. He is...

Does My Dog Have Separation Anxiety! [ 2 Answers ]

Help I need 2 know what are the symptoms 2 separation anxiety because I think my dog may have it so plez HELP!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Excessive drool in crate/seperation anxiety? [ 1 Answers ]

We rescued a 10 month old mastiff/lab puppy about a week ago, gentle as can be, very smart, learns quickly, loves the kids, just an amazing dog... he is not at all a drooler, but when he goes into his crate and we leave, he drools gallons (and I mean gallons). I know he has been stressed by being...

View more questions Search