Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loribhi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 05:30 AM
    Credit and garnishments
    Is there a limit on how many creditors can garnishment your pay check ? And is there a % they can take ? I live in New York and have many creditors wanting money
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2007, 05:39 AM
    Each state has their own limits. Generally the limit is a percentage of your pay, not the number of people garnishing it.

Check your state here:
    Garnishment Laws and Procedures listed by State
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 16, 2007, 06:13 AM
    Also, I believe its first served, first served. Meaning the creditor that serves the granishment order on your employer first gets the garnishment. If there are other creditors they wait in line until the previous orders are paid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishments and signer only [ 1 Answers ]

I received a garnishment on a customer and the accounts they are on show this person as a signer on the account. Am I able to take funds if they are a signer only or do they have to be an owner on the account?

Wage Garnishments [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to stop garnishment of my wages. I purchased some furniture and fell behind in the payments. I have tried to work something out with the debtor but they refuse to make any kind of arrangements. On the bottom of my pre-judgement statement, it states that the plaintiff may file for a...

Bank garnishments [ 1 Answers ]

Before I met my husband 6 years ago, he owed a company some money for a credit card. They went through a lawyer. We made a payment arrangement but was unable to pay them for a few months. Now the lawyers garnished our bank account and took every single penny we had. Is that legal? Now we have...

Enforcing garnishments? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello- I am new to a law office. We recently won judgment for garnishment in a rent & possession in the St. Louis, MO area. However, the Defendant is part owner of his business, and not only is he intercepting our attempts via mail, he also answers the phone refuses to deal with our office. ...

Child support garnishments [ 2 Answers ]

My husband pays child support to his ex girlfriend for their 8 year old daughter. They were only 17 when his girlfriend had her. His ex and him only dated a couple weeks when he moved out of state. He was informed he had a daughter two years after she was born. We finally convinced his ex to allow...

View more questions Search