Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justme71 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2012, 09:19 PM
    How long must I still be there for him?
    I was in a relationship with my ex four months ago. We met up after being away from each other’s lives for almost 10 years. Everything happened without us planning any of it. I’m telling you this because we are both married to other people. But we both started to fall for each other almost instantly.

However two months ago we decided to compromise our feelings and remain as friends because we both know that it’s impossible to be together. We both love each other but we just had to end it before things get too close for comfort and before we both start hurting our spouses and family.

However, I can't get over him and he still calls me every now and then. I wanted to stop all contacts with him totally but don’t have the heart to disappear from his life just like that. I miss him still but I’m trying to stay strong for our families sake.

Question is how long must I still be there for him, and should I just end it all by really stopping all contact with him? Please help because I think I need closure and move on with my own life with my family.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 26, 2012, 09:25 AM
    The only closure you can have is through accepting this relationship on the side is wrong, and stop all contact with this ex. Immediately.

After a while the healing process will start, and you will have to deal with the memories because you will never forget. Takes time if you start now, forever if you don't find the courage to do the right thing.

Dec 27, 2012, 10:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    The only closure you can have is thru accepting this relationship on the side is wrong, and stop all contact with this ex. Immediately.

After a while the healing process will start, and you will have to deal with the memories because you will never forget. Takes time if you start now, forever if you don't find the courage to do the right thing.
    Thank you for your reply.. I read it again and again and I think you are right. I need to put him and the memories behind and move on... If I don't do it now I'm just going to Hurt myself and the people around me. I know he will try to contact me because he has my office and mobile numbers but I guess I just need to be strong and I will try to avoid his calls if I can.. The healing process will take time I know but I also know I can overcome this..
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2012, 10:45 PM
    It is never possible to really move on having contact. You need to break all contact, don't read email, don't read text and more
    ArmstrongMiller Posts: 164, Reputation: -1

Dec 27, 2012, 11:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    The only closure you can have is thru accepting this relationship on the side is wrong, and stop all contact with this ex. Immediately.

Agree with you.

Dec 28, 2012, 12:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    It is never possible to really move on having contact. You need to break all contact, dont read email, don't read text and more

Hi thanks for your views.. I now need to know how do I avoid his phone calls? What if he calls me at my work place? I can screen my calls via my mobile but I can't do it via my office number. Do I tell him straight that I want nothing to do with him? We went separate ways amicably, no fights n no arguments. We just know it was the right thing to do. So how do I avoid his calls through my office phone?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 28, 2012, 12:37 AM
    The best thing to do is to tell him that you need to cut all contact in order to move on with your life and have a healthy relationship with your spouse and family. If he cares about you at all, he'll respect that. Wish him well, but tell him that you can no longer have any contact, none at all, by any means.

If he continues to call, text, email, or whatever, either hang up immediately, or delete. After a while he'll get the hint, and he'll either stop calling and emailing, or he'll up his game. If he does up his game, that's when you get the police involved.

As for your office, you can tell the secretary (if you have one) to ask who's calling, and if it's him, to tell him you're not accepting his calls, or, hang up when it's him.

It's easy to avoid someone. You just have to choose to do it. It really is your choice.

Dec 28, 2012, 03:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    The best thing to do is to tell him that you need to cut all contact in order to move on with your life and have a healthy relationship with your spouse and family. If he cares about you at all, he'll respect that. Wish him well, but tell him that you can no longer have any contact, none at all, by any means.

If he continues to call, text, email, or whatever, either hang up immediately, or delete. After a while he'll get the hint, and he'll either stop calling and emailing, or he'll up his game. If he does up his game, that's when you get the police involved.

As for your office, you can tell the secretary (if you have one) to ask who's calling, and if it's him, to tell him you're not accepting his calls, or, hang up when it's him.

It's easy to avoid someone. You just have to choose to do it. It really is your choice.
    Thank you for your views.. I don't have a secretary to screen my calls so I guess it's all up to me... Will take a lot of courage to avoid him because he knows tt I'm not the sort who hangs up phone calls.. But I will try because I don't want to be an 'option' to him anymore!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long does it take long term vicodin consumption to exit your system? [ 7 Answers ]

If you have been on vicodin for a long time how long does it take to get out of your system.

Male singer with long long red hair [ 1 Answers ]

I have tried everything on the internet, I am trying to find a music video I saw a long time ago probably early-ish 2000s on MTV or something like that and a man was singing who had long red hair and I remember he was looking at the camera a lot and he got out of a hot tub and put some clothes on...

How long is too long for a long distance relationship? [ 8 Answers ]

I am in LDR hell here, or so it seems.. before we were long distance, my boyfriend and I had been together for 3 months. It doesn't really seem that long but we were so close and I had the best time with him. So anyhow, he went off to Florida to start college in August this summer. At first,...

How long is to long for the support chain to be that hangs a heavy bag? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 100lb heavy bag. I really don't have anywhere suitable at my home to hang it. I do however work in an old warehouse. I have the perfect area for it but the beam that I would be hanging it from is probably 6-8ft above where the top of the bag would be. Is that to far for the chain length? I...

View more questions Search