Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 22, 2012, 11:23 AM
    Merry Whatever (by Rich Turner*)
    Rich believed that the debate about whether to say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" is much ado about nothing of significance.

I've been hearing and reading a lot this year about how we shouldn't say "Merry Christmas" but should say "Happy Holidays" instead so that we don't exclude or offend someone who isn't a Christian. On the other side are those who say that we're taking away from the true meaning of Christmas by saying "Happy Holidays."

This nonsensical debate is another expression of the poppycock generated by what has become known as "political correctness." We must not say something that offends some hypersensitive individual who belongs to a minority group, as if by merely saying "Merry Christmas" we are trying to impose Christianity on people who believe otherwise. The equally absurd assertion is that those who prefer to say "Happy Holidays" symbolize the godless forces of materialism that are attempting to destroy the Christian underpinnings of our society.

It's all much ado about nothing of significance. Those who assert that "Happy Holidays" detracts from the religious meaning of Christmas need to be reminded that some Christians consider much of what our society includes in the celebration to be pagan, even blasphemous. Well, yes, there's no mention of Santa Claus and flying reindeer in the Bible, and much of the imagery associated with Christmas has more to do with the winter solstice than with the birth of Jesus. Do these people know, in fact, that those intensely religious forebears of ours, the Puritans, opposed any special celebration of Christmas? In the view of these individuals, then, wishing anybody anything suggesting that this is a special time of year is offensive.
    As for those who say that wishing somebody – or, as I tend to do, everybody – "Merry Christmas" is discriminatory, I have one word: "Goodbye" – which, by the way, is in its origin a short form of "God Be With Ye." My theology happens to be agnostic, which places me at the opposite end of the spectrum from evangelicals and fundamentalists, but I'll say "Merry Christmas" to whomever I please, thank you.

The Christmas season – or, if you will, the holiday season – is a composite of many traditions – secular and religious, pagan and Christian. A considerable amount of its charm is that it is comprehensive enough to include everyone, Christians and non-Christians, believers and doubters and nonbelievers.

The message of "Peace on Earth, good will toward men" should not be limited to only certain people. (And, by the way, the suggestion that we should now change this to "Peace on Earth, good will toward men and women" is another example of politically correct poppycock.) This message urges us to put aside the petty bickering that can easily escalate into conflict and create ill will toward everyone. Arguments about whether we should say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" are precisely the kind of petty bickering that needs to be put aside.

We can all participate in the spirit of the season, allowing it to include everyone. We can still observe, within this context of inclusiveness, our individual beliefs (or lack of them) and whatever cultural and religious traditions we choose to follow. So may all the children of the Earth play nice and not fight, and let it be "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Whatever."
    *If you have hung around Q&A sites for a while, you may remember Rich, a grammar expert on askme.com, PointAsk.com, Answerway.com, and others. He was also a member here, but briefly, before his death on June 16, 2011. He hosted his own very excellent and interesting grammar site at The Grammar Curmudgeon and was busy writing a book on being a grumpy grammarian.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2012, 03:35 PM
    Wow!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 22, 2012, 05:58 PM
    Couldn't have said it better, and haven't tried, so THANKS!
    And who doesn't like cross-eyed penguins?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

There was a movie about a young rich girl who was a bad . Her father was rich. [ 1 Answers ]

There was a movie about a young rich girl who was a bad . Her father was rich. She had a step mother and little sister. She meet a mexican boy in school and fell in love with him. He later became a pilot.

View more questions Search