Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 16, 2012, 04:46 PM
    What does normal feel like? (by Raiderman)
    [Please leave comments, if you wish.]

what-is-normal-300x300.jpg
    I ask myself that a lot. I often think I would like to feel normal for 5 minutes just so I can see what that feels like. What does that really mean? The norm is just like a statistical average. It doesn't imply anything good. The normal IQ is between 90 and 110, so an IQ of over 110 is statistically "abnormal". Psychologists rather use the term "maladaptive". If a thought or behavior inhibits your ability to adapt to your environment, then it needs to change or life becomes a struggle.

I've been struggling for as long as I can remember because of maladaptive thoughts and behavior. I have feelings of inferiority and though I'm not antisocial, anxiety prevents me from reaching out and connecting to people. I know this must change and I'm glad I found this site because there is someone who will push me to change. It's all about confronting your fears, challenging those thoughts in your head that hold you down, and coming out of the shadow and feeling the light. One day I hope to look back and realize I was normal all along and just didn't realize it. As Pogo said:
    777666 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2013, 10:42 AM
    As a converted shy and introvert and abnormal victim, I got tired of feeling left out and missing all the fun, feeling so different. So, for me the problem was fear of rejection, embarrassment, social separation, etc. I knew there were people out there who were like me, good people, compatible, with same situation, but all of us suffered the same introverted problem and thus were doomed to never find each other and live the fuller life of real human connection. And if we could just find each other (friends, romances), then we'd connect and life would ramp up. So I just kept my fear in check and threw myself out there everywhere I went, sought out venues, groups, social circles where I thought like minded people congregated, and eventually found a rich group of friends and human connections that keep growing. Every day is filled with enormous social failures but that's OK now as I see it as a journey to seek out the rare few gems in a sea of possible people. I don't need a lot of people, so finding the 10 new ones per year takes many attempts, but is feeling natural and getting easier every day now that there is foundation of a great group. For me, human connection, meaningful connection, has opened my life to endless peace, acceptance, beauty, fun and romance. They were out there, I just need to get in the game and stop holding myself back. Normal or not, there were others just like me and now we can be abnormal together, which now serenely feels like "our" normal.
    Raiderman Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2013, 11:02 AM
    Was there a particular internet site (assuming you used the internet) that helped you make these connections? I know there is a meetup group for people with social anxiety but, not surprisingly, few show up for the meetings. Thanks for a thoughtful reply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it normal to feel this hurt? I feel like I'm breaking down [ 3 Answers ]

Basically I don't know where to start. I feel defeated and I'm only 17 I feel like my life is horrible. My mother causes me a lot of pain emotionally and sometimes physically since I could remember she's always hitting me for the smallest reasons. I went out with my guy friend and when I came home...

Is it normal to feel this.. [ 2 Answers ]

Ok so, I'm young and stuff and sometimes when I'm hanging out with my friends (the ones that are girls) and they like to hug me and a lot of them are really clingy. But I've been "confused" about my sexual orientation for a while now and I'm wondering, is it normal to get these tingly/butterfly...

Is it normal for him to feel this way about me! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi.. me and my boyfriend have some issues like any normal couples! We are deeply in love we both know that and feel that way toward each other.. but at some period of times "not always" in our relation we both feel so cold toward each other.. like we both are not happy with our lives.. and we...

View more questions Search