Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    banana007 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2012, 11:06 AM
    Jobless 25 year old son -- what to do?
    Wow, I have the same problem with my 25 yo son. Problem is, he does not have a job. He was away for 8 months and now he came back as if he is on vacation. He is nasty and lazy. He does not help with chores and gets nasty when I ask if he is looking for a new school or job. He is in his room all day on the computer and I do not know what he does all day because I work. I have stopped cooking meals for him when I come home and he seems to be able to cook himself. Another worry is that he is getting pot from someone and smokes outside when I go to sleep. I think I smell the sweet smell. I have asked and he said 'no'. I do not believe him and I see him heading in a bad future. I live alone and his father (living far away) has said he 'gives up' trying to help him because he is not a baby and needs to look himself. Therefore, I am stuck here to keep a roof over his head and food in his mouth. BTW - he seems very depressed because he claims he gets only negative answers from jobs he applied for. Any advise will help. I am losing my mind!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 14, 2012, 11:15 AM
    I moved your post to start its own thread so it doesn't get lost inside someone else's.

Have you ever given him a deadline to move out? (Where had he been "away" at?)

Dec 14, 2012, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I moved your post to start its own thread so it doesn't get lost inside someone else's.

Have you ever given him a deadline to move out? (Where had he been "away" at?)
    Thanks, he was away in South america on a temporary job (which his dad found for him).
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 14, 2012, 11:24 AM
    Has he applied at hospitals, nursing homes, public libraries?
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2012, 11:36 AM
    If he is smoking pot that eliminates jobs that require a drug test.

Would taking a very positive approach work with your son? Helping him look for work on the computer during the evening? Asking people you know who might be hiring?

Or would structuring his time like we had to do when they were kids work better? He might be an adult in age, but sometimes guys don't grow up as fast as we would expect. Not having a job doesn't help anyone's self esteem.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 14, 2012, 11:54 AM
    I am also thinking he might want to have a job coach. I did that for clients and worked with them on their resumes/applications, where to apply, how to interview, and even gave them help and advice once they had landed a job.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 14, 2012, 12:51 PM
    He's getting money from somewhere for pot, while you give him free room AND board! Make it clear that he has X weeks for each thing: buy his own food, start paying rent - or leave. He is nasty because he has no self respect while you enable him, and hence no respect for you or anyone else. He knows he has to get off his butt.
    Yes, jobs are hard to find. He has to go in with a positive, almost artificially positive eagerness to work at the place he is applying to. He has to say so. He has to say 'I really need and want THIS job, working HERE, and will show up on time every day with no excuses and my phone turned off, and work my tail off.'

Dec 14, 2012, 01:37 PM
    Hey all you guys are really great with your answers. It is almost a sign of relief to know others understand what I am going through. I am taking all of your advice and trying new approaches. Let us keep in touch. I need this!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 18 year old son is supposed to graduate this year but he skips classes... [ 6 Answers ]

My 18 year old son is so suppose to graduate this year but he skips classes all the time. His father and I have been divorced for the past 11 years, we have joint custody and we are trying to do what's best for him and our daughter. He stopped going by his father a few weeks ago and he refuses to...

My 3 year old son told me that a 9 year old girl massed with him what do I need to do [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my 3 year old son told me that his 9 year old step sis was massing with his penis. I don't want to started trouble with her mama, but I want to know why she did that to my son and to make sure that she don't do it amy more. And to know how she new what she was doing could some one have made he...

9 year old Son touching his 5 year old brothers Penis [ 4 Answers ]

CONCERNED-- My wife just called me and said that she caught our 9yr old son touhing our 5yr old sons penis, AHHH! This is way too much, my gut reaction is to hurry home and get the belt! I know all children "play docotor" or get curious... but with your little brother? The younger one says that...

My 24 year old son got into a motorcycle accident a year back,now the passenger [ 11 Answers ]

Judgement against him, the bike had Insurance @ that time no repair bill was filed. Son had dotor bills, passenger was check-out but no injuries other than slight scraps (at that time).Now no longer boyfriend & girlfriend we think her parents got a lawyer to file paperwork. He doesn't live with...

View more questions Search