Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nickh123 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2012, 08:38 AM
    Rewiring an old 2 wire Taco thermostat.. blue & white wire only
    Hi, I have an old 2 wire Taco analog thermostat and want to upgrade to a digital thermostat. The wires are white and blue (the red wire is cut and not connected to anything) and neither terminal is labelled. Any suggestions on how to wire new device?

Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 8, 2012, 08:41 AM
    The color of the wires is not always standard or consistent. You need to open the furnace pabel and tell us which screw is connected to each wire. Newer thermostats require power while old ones did not, this may not be a swap that can be done. Does the new stat take batteries

Dec 8, 2012, 09:08 AM
    Hi

Yes new stat is battery powered. Not sure where the furnace panel is?

Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 8, 2012, 09:42 AM
    Sounds like you are not too familiar with HVAC work which means you may need a handyman or a pro. The red wire is most frequently used for the 24 volt transformer and you may not have one. On the stat, what screws connected to those two wires

Dec 8, 2012, 02:00 PM
    Hi
    I checked the panel and both blue and white wires connect to the furnace panel and are labelled thermostat. They are not discriminated.

On the stat on the wall there are no labels either. Using a clock face as a reference, the blue is at 1 oclock and the white at 7 oclock.

Thanks
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2012, 06:47 PM
    With only two wires, it really doesn't matter. Connect one to the stat terminal marked Rh & the other to W.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 9, 2012, 11:06 AM
    Grady is absolutely correct.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

4-Wire thermostat installation. Red, White, Blue, Green [ 5 Answers ]

I am installing a Lux TX9000TS digital thermostat. The wires I have are Red, White, Blue & Green. On the Thermostat I have W, Y, G, B, O, RH RC (Jumper) & C. My question is where does the Blue wire go? My father in law put it on the B, but when the furnace kicks on, the AC fan also kicks on. I...

Explain which wire is ground wire when you have 2 black wires and 1 white wire [ 5 Answers ]

Explain which wire is ground when you have 2 black wires and 1 white wire

Black wire red wire and white wire spliced to 10/3 on a 220 circuit [ 25 Answers ]

I have installed a disconnect between my dryer receptable and a tanning bed. I want to splice the 10/3 box wire to the existing 220 wiring at the dryer. Dryer= red, black, white and bare ground wires 10/3 wire= black, white, and bare ground How do I splice these to allow the disconnect box to...

Replacing 4 wire White Rogers Thermostat with 5 Wire Thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old White-Rogers thermostat with only 4 wires coming out of the wall and need to replace it but the only new ones I find (at Home Depot) have 5 wires. How do I hook up a 5 wire thermostat to 4 wires and still have it work properly? Big John

I kneed to figure the wire sequence on a pullchain with black,white,red & blue wires [ 1 Answers ]

I replacing a pull chain on my ceiling fan with one from the local hardware store as one is not available from the manufacturer, it is a 4 wire 3 speed pull chain with L& 1,2,3 I need to figure the wire sequence on a pulchain with black,white,red & blue wires, also the old pull chain was letters...

View more questions Search