Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HelloSurferGirl Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2012, 10:21 AM
    Please Help! Pregnant?
    Ok, let's start at the beginning. I am on antibiotics for my acne (or well, has been for 5 months up until a week and a half ago) The doctor advised me last month to go back on birth control pills to keep my acne away since my skin is looking great now (I have been on birth control for 7 years now but stopped it in January) 3 weeks ago, I had unprotected sex the night before my period started and my boyfriend didn't pull out. The next day my period started. So I waited for my period to end and about a week and 5 days ago, I started with my birth control pills for the first time again since Jan. 3 days after I started me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex again but this time he did pull out (2nights in a row). I was still on the antibiotics then and I know they lessen the effect of birth control pills. But since about last week I started having strange eating habit (for 2 days I would eat non-stop and then for the next 2 days I can't stand eating to much), I am feeling a lot more sleepy especially earlier in the night than I used to go to bed, and I am suddenly a heavy sleeper and used to be a light sleeper. I only wake up during the night when I have to go to the bathroom. I am feeling dizzy as well and every once in a while I would feel like I am starting to get nauseous but not really. It's just like my stomach is twisting lol.. But no tender/sore breasts at all. I am craving to be with my boyfriend a lot more than I used to (we don't live together yet) and I suddenly cry really easily and am very emotional. 3 days ago, I also started seeing a milky/white, thickish vaginal discharge but no itching or anything and no funny odor, just the discharge. I also have to go to the bathroom a little bit more and when I've been sitting down for a long time, it would feel as if my period have started when I get up (or well the way it feels when period have just started, like I'm leaking out a lot, but then there's nothing, except the discharge that started lately) Other than that I have no pregnancy symptoms like cramps, sore breasts etc at all. Oh, except for getting heartburn a lot easier than I used to. And I crave sour sauces the whole time and would eat mayonnaise on almost anything and on the days I eat a lot, I would feel extremely hungry and start eating but after a few bites, my tummy feels "heavy", then I stop, half an hour later, my stomach is growling from hunger. And since 2 days ago, I would occasionally get flu like symptoms (stuffy nose, sneezing) and get quick headaches that last for like 5 minutes at a time (I get it about 3 times a day) and when I do something like excersize, my back aches a little. I have always been a person to get regular headaches but mostly I get them in the morning, drink pain killers and they stay away then for good for a day or 2. I've been drinking pain killers in the morning when I get a headache but then they return (as said, for about 5 minutes p/time), later during the day. Could I be any chance be pregnant? Lol I do feel different but that may just be me hoping for a positive result. Since the birth control pills will control my periods, will I still miss them? How will I know if I'm pregnant or not? Will my period be late even while on the pill? Please help?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2012, 12:51 PM
    You might be...

First off... we4 have a name for people that use the "pullout method" we call them people who want to be parents.

Second... the Pill is rendered ineffective by certain classes of antibiotics... and

Third... the pill doesn't achieve its level of effectiveness (which is never 100%) until into the SECOND month you take it.

Fourth... and something you MUST remember. You can be on the pill AND use condoms correctly BOTH.. and still get pregnant... we have several moderators that has happened to.. on more than once.. and she IS a RN in Obstetrics so she really does know how the reproductive system works... unlike what appears to be most people.

Fifth... you can NOT determine pregnancy by "sysmptoms" not before you are 6 months pregnant or go into labor.

THere is one way of finding out... before you clearly begin to show.. or pop out a kid... and that's a HPT.

You should do that 4 weeks after you last had sex... or at least several weeks after your missed period.

Dec 7, 2012, 01:00 PM
    Thanks so much for the reply :-)
    Luckily, I have been prepared for quite some time to become pregnant and would really love it. But I have had symptoms twice before and got both me and my partner's hopes up. So for now, I'll keep it to myself until I have missed a period and took a HPT. Just needed some clarity on the symptoms I'm feeling as they seem a bit odd. Thanks so much :-)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 7, 2012, 01:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloSurferGirl View Post
    Thanks so much for the reply :-)
    Luckily, I have been prepared for quite some time to become pregnant and would really love it. But I have had symptoms twice before and got both me and my partner's hopes up. So for now, I'll keep it to myself until I have missed a period and took a HPT. Just needed some clarity on the symptoms I'm feeling as they seem a bit odd. Thanks so much :-)
    I started with my birth control pills for the first time again since Jan. 3
    I have to ask. If you're trying to get pregnant, why are you on the pill?

Dec 7, 2012, 01:10 PM
    I have to take the pill as otherwise I literally can't stand up every time I get my period as my pain is terrible so the doctor suggested I go back on it again.
    And it's not that I am trying though, just going with the flow but I wouldn't mind if it happened :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 7, 2012, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloSurferGirl View Post
    I have to take the pill as otherwise I literally can't stand up every time I get my period as my pain is terrible so the doctor suggested I go back on it again.
    And it's not that I am trying though, just going with the flow but I wouldn't mind if it happened :)
    I had extreme issues with my periods when I was younger. In fact, on more than one occasion I ended up in the hospital because the pain was so great.

Have you seen an Gynecologist? My regular doctor wasn't able to do a thing for me. When I finally went to a Gynecologist they found a benign tumor that was the main cause of the pain I was feeling. Once it was removed the pain was less, but still pretty bad. My Gyno then prescribed medication to be taken during my period, for pain. The best medication I've ever had. Because of that medication I was able to function.

I've never heard of the pill being used for menstrual pain. Usually it's used, if not for birth control, to regulate your period. But pain? I don't see how it would help with that.

Dec 10, 2012, 06:57 AM
    Ok, here is an update. 3 days ago started getting really bad cramps in my abdomen (like PMS cramps) and mild lower backache. Yesterday, when I went to the bathroom, there was very little light brownish discharge when I wiped. It stayed for about 3 hours. Then nothing more, this morning it happened again but only there when I wipe. Nothing in my underwear. Period is not due until next week Monday (that's when I start my white pills in my pack) my breasts are not extremely sensitive or sore but my nipples are a bit and it felt sensitive in the shower this morning when the water falls on them but not sore, just tingeling. Cramps are still here. Any ideas?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 10, 2012, 07:10 AM
    Hi Surfergirl, I am th RN that Smoothy mentioned above. I work in obstetrics an women's health.

As for your symptoms, they virtually could be anything. As a nurse I know that we cannot diagnose or even guess based on symptoms alone.

As far as what you are going through now, it could be your body adjusting to the pill. It's also quite possible that this is not the right pill for you and you may have to switch.

Dec 13, 2012, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Hi Surfergirl, I am th RN that Smoothy mentioned above. I work in obstetrics an women's health.

As for your symptoms, they virtually could be anything. As a nurse I know that we cannot diagnose or even guess based on symptoms alone.

As far as what you are going through now, it could be your body adjusting to the pill. It's also quite possible that this is not the right pill for you and you may have to switch.
    Thanks for replying. The thing that bothers me is most is the fact that I've been on the same birth control before and never had any side effects from them not even when I just started. I also didn't experience the symptoms when I just started with this cycle now and it only happened after we had sex so it's really confusing now. I'm getting very, very mild heartburns now and again, I get headaches way more often and not just once but at least 5 times a day. I get really weird (not so sore, just uncomfortable) cramps in my lower abdomen, sometimes left, sometimes right, sometimes in the middle. My back hurts a lot easier than usual and it's not like my normal backaches :(
    I don't get nauseous just yet but still feels like my stomach is twisting, like I am about to get nauseous. I am spotting still for the past five days. The spotting is mostly dark brown but got a little bit of light pinkish spotting yesterday, not even enough to wear pads though, just when I wipe myself I notice it. My breasts felt a little tender yesterday and the day before, today not so much. It's all really confusing to me now :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1 Positive pregnant Test, 3 negative pregnant Tests, and 2 weeks late [ 13 Answers ]

I took a HPT the day after my missed period and it was positive. It was a digital first response. The next week I took 3 more tests and all were negative. I still have symptoms and I am now 2 weeks late on my period. I have a doctor's visit scheduled for the day that I would be 4 weeks late. ...

4th pregnant chance with previous history of blood clot during pregnant? [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know if it is safe to have a 4th pregnancy with a history of blood clot in my 2nd pregnancy at 30 week? Should I see a gyne?

View more questions Search