Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NOVA06 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 04:06 PM
    ABS/PVC joining
    I am aware that Oatey makes a cement suitable for joining ABS & PVC DWV pipes. My question is why do some codes not allow joining the two unless a rubber fitting is utilized? Is there some bad chemical reaction between the two? Is there any downside to using the rubber fittings from an installation or performance standpoint?

Thanks
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2007, 08:20 PM
    The code allows for manufacturer recommendations but some inspectors use the I W I code. It is hard to get around that code.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Joining Copper & PVC DWV [ 3 Answers ]

I am relocating my toilet (3 ft ). The current drain is 3" copper. How do I connect the PVC to the copper pipe?

Abs pvc pipes [ 1 Answers ]

I'm redesigning my bathroom, and noticed that I have ABS pipes. The home depot don't sell any ABS supplies, but I was told that I could use the PVC instead. The guy over at Home depot seemed not to know much about plumbing. My question would be if I connect ABS with PVC is there any issues, or any...

Abs Vs Pvc [ 4 Answers ]

Just wondering what the differences are between ABS and PVC pipes, other than the color? Why is ABS almost always used for drains? Thanks ;)

Now What--PVC cement on ABS [ 1 Answers ]

Used PVC cement on black (ABS?) pipe on a trailer while gluing in a Drain Master flange. Cement is P-8 Nutone PVC Cement (ASTM D-2564). Joint looked good put didn't stress it. Will it hold? If not, what now? (just another example of gaining 'experience' by doing stupid things--great fun...

Joining ABS and PVC [ 2 Answers ]

I have to connect a PVC drain to an established ABS line. How can I do that? Thanks.

View more questions Search