Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmorrison3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 10:38 AM
    2 wire 240 connect to 3 wire 120/240
    I am in the process of hooking up a new Electric Range. It has a three wire connector terminal block ).

My existing wiring is 1970's vintage alum, but inspected and in good condition.

The existing wire in 8 gauge two wire (black and white) plus ground.

Do I have to run a new wire all the way back to the panel?

Thanks,
    Martin
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 14, 2007, 12:08 PM
    One of the pros like Rusell will give you more info later today but "vintage alum" is something I'd rip out of my house. They band it for a reason, it arcs.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2007, 01:25 PM
    Aluminum wire for general lighting and outlet branch circuits was banned several years ago.

Aluminum wire for ranges and dryers is still allowed, however, the terminations must be treated with antioxidant compound, and tightened properly. The terminal the wire will connect to must also be rated for aluminum wire.

The isue next is what type of insulation does your cable have. If it is TW or UF, #8 Al can only handle 30 amps. A standard range needs a 40 amp circuit.

#8 THHN,THWN, or XHHW,which is most likely what you have, are rated 40 amps.

If it is all all feasible, replacing the cable with copper would be a good thing, but not required.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change a 120 to a 240 outlet [ 1 Answers ]

Please help.. in my gerage all I have are 3 or 4 outlets all normal 120 household outlets, I'm going to start welding at my house to keep up with work and my welder needs a 240 outlet. I have a late 80's early 90's fuse box and not 1 240 outlet in the entire house, how can I myself install a 240...

120 To 240 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 100 AMP Pushmatic breaker box in my garage. It is full of breakers that are all 120 volt that ranger from 15 to 30 amp. I want to hook up a 240 amp for a pump motor and a one for a welder. Can I hook up two of the 30 amp 120 volt breaker to accomplish this with each one?

Can I connect a 240 volt electric range to a 30 amp breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I'm renovating a rental unit and removed a 3 in one appliance (bar fridge/2 stove elements/sink). It was hooked up to 10/3 copper wire on a 30 amp breaker. I want to install a 24 inch electric stove/oven in it's place. I want to hook up a 24 inch electric stove/range to 10 gauge 3 copper wire...

240 volt four wire in 240 three wire outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a generator that has (2) 20 amp 110 outlets and (1) 240 outlet. The 240 outlet have receptacle for four wire plug but I want to use it in a three 930 wire 240 volt plug at other end. Is this a workable solution?

How to wire a 240 outlet ? [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I have what I thought a simple project.. ok I have a 5K watt generator that has a 240 v outlet.. I want to connect my 240 v arc welder to it.. only problem is that the plugs are different.. I already have the proper plugs to adapt the connection.. I made a one foot adapter ( pig tail )... my...

View more questions Search