Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lacey19 Posts: 193, Reputation: 9

Mar 14, 2007, 12:15 AM
    Will I still have a job?
    Hi All Please help me if you can Im very worried.

I started a new job the end of November last year and had a probabtion of 3 months. I then had to have time off at the beginning of Feb tp have an opertation on my knee. Work were fantastic and have supported me throughout.

They told me that I wouldn't get paid my full amount as I still have not fully completed my probabtion, therefeore gave me an option of working from home, which has been brilliant.

The first week I had off I took as hoilday as I was desperate for money. I still have not gone back and I am still working from home. Thing is I've just found out that I'm pregnant. Will I get the sack for having tme off with my knee then having maternity leave.

What will happen? Im really stuck and I need as much advice as possible I'm getting really stressed out about this and it can't be doing my baby any good at all.

Many thanks
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2007, 02:48 AM
    Since we do not know the company you work for and how they operate, the only way you will know this is by speaking with your immediate supervisor. If I were you, I would wait until you are fully recovered from your knee surgery, are back at work, and you have passed, at the very least, your first trimester. There is no good reason to open up a can of worms at this point in time. It is too early in the pregnancy and too soon after the operation. If you want to stay working for the company, keep showing them what a hard working and dedicated employee you are. Give them every reason to want to keep you on. When you are at the point that you are "showing", then you should speak with your supervisor about it. Doing so any sooner may put your employment status in jeopardy.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2007, 02:55 AM
    Here in Canada there are laws. Maternity and parental leaves are protected. They can not fire you. The thing is it all depends on how long you were working for the company. If you were not working long enough for the company then they could very well get rid of you if your not entitled to receive those benefits. I would check the laws out in your state.

Get info before doing anything.

Joe
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2007, 02:56 AM
    I agree with Ruby as well. No need to open a can of worms. When you start to show then talk to the supervisor.

Good luck with everything.

Joe
    Lacey19 Posts: 193, Reputation: 9

Mar 14, 2007, 03:02 AM
    Thank you. I really do need to be working I don't not want to be if that makes any sense. I want to be able to provide for my child.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2007, 03:21 AM
    I will say obviously being in the same country I can give you a little bit on an eye opener, if you are still on probationary period with them they can in fact terminate your employment and they don't have to give a reason to do so they can simply say it isn't working out.
    Although saying all of that there is every chance they will be absolutely fine and if they do terminate your employment you can go to the dss and they will fight your cause and you will receive benefits.
    Sorry if all that was a little bit upsetting but its better you know all the possibilities you should read your contract carefully regarding maternity here in the uk you will only be paid for 6 months from your date of maternity leave you can take a year out of work but the company is only made to pay you for 6 months of it and then its at a reduced sum of money unless of course you are contracted for more than 32 hours then you will receive full pay but as I said read your contract and make sure when you do tell your hr department that you are pregnant you get all the correct information from them regarding company policy and make sure you have the information they need like your due date then they can calculate when your maternity leave can start.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need a job [ 3 Answers ]

Where should I get a job I need one fast

Looking for a job (any!) [ 0 Answers ]

In 100 words or less why would you like to be a retail trainee?

View more questions Search