Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    onlyif Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2012, 02:49 AM
    Debt laws in ontario
    Hello,
    I live in Barrie, Ontario, Canada Can someone help me, Me and my girlfriend have been together since 2005 when we got together she had a credit card she added me to her card as a user. As time gose on (2007) she stopped paying the bill the card company reports to the credit bureau at her. About a year later I tried to get a mortgage and I was turned down they told me it was a credit card that was reported on me. So right then I know it was the card my girlfriend had because I never have my own credit card before. So I called the credit card company and asked about it they said I have to pay too. I don't think I should have pay this bill because I was only a user not a card holder. I did not pay it. With this on my credit bureau for years, last week I called the card company again and they told me they can not talk to me because it is not my card they can only talk to the card holder. Ok the question I have is. Can I sue the card company for reporting to my credit bureau and messing up my credit for years? And would the courts remove it completely from my credit bureau right a way? And would the credit card company have to pay me for the stress and bad credit I had to live with all this time. Please Help Me Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 23, 2012, 06:17 AM
    Yes, you as a secondary card holder are responsible for the debt; that is the way it works. No, you can't sue, the bad credit information was already with the credit bureau, credit card company did not report you. And, no the courts will not remove it completely. When the debt is paid up and discharged, is the only time it will come off your credit rating, but not instantly.

You and your g/f are responsible for the debt; however, the statute of limitations on credit card debt in Ontario is six years from the date of the debt, so it looks like you are safe for now, but the fact remains, your credit is still not good.

The fact remains that this debt not discharged will be sold many times over for so many cents on the dollar to collection agencies who will try to collect from you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 23, 2012, 07:08 AM
    It depends on how you were added. If you were just added as an authorized user, then no you shouldn't be responsible. If you were added as a co-borrower then you are.

No you can't sue them successfully, but you should be able to have it removed from your record if you are not a co-borrower.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 23, 2012, 08:34 AM
    I was added to my husbands card, as an authorized user, years ago and yes, I was responsible for any debt incurred and unpaid (that is what their TD Visa agreement states}.

Nov 25, 2012, 07:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Yes, you as a secondary card holder are responsible for the debt; that is the way it works. No, you can't sue, the bad credit information was already with the credit bureau, credit card company did not report you. And, no the courts will not remove it completely. When the debt is paid up and discharged, is the only time it will come off your credit rating, but not instantly.

You and your g/f are responsible for the debt; however, the statute of limitations on credit card debt in Ontario is six years from the date of the debt, so it looks like you are safe for now, but the fact remains, your credit is still not good.

The fact remains that this debt not discharged will be sold many times over for so many cents on the dollar to collection agencies who will try to collect from you.
    No I was just added to her card as a user not a holder (co-borrower) I understand it if I was a co--borrower I would be responsible for it but I was never. Just a user, As for the statute of limitations dose that starts from the last time the credit card company reports to my credit bureau
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 26, 2012, 03:56 AM
    Generally SOL starts from the last activity on the account.

You need to get a copy of the contract to make sure what responsibilities a user has.

Nov 26, 2012, 10:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Generally SOL starts from the last activity on the account.

You need to get a copy of the contract to make sure what responsibilities a user has.
    OK thanks everyone for the help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ontario moving out laws? [ 1 Answers ]

I am 17 turnng 18 In December, my boyfriend is 19 turning 20 in June I am planning on moving out when I'm 18 Is there anything my parents can do legaly to make me have to stay

Ontario debt collection laws [ 0 Answers ]

I hired a lawyer in 2006 to renew a writ. I received a statement of account in July of that year from him stating the work done and the costs. The statement recorded that my account continued to have $500 in trust after the costs were subtracted. I assumed the work was done and that there were no...

Unsecured debt laws, ontario, canada? [ 6 Answers ]

I am Canadian living in Washington State with my American husband. I am unable to work due to a disability and I am not able to pay on my Canadian credit card. My file was first in the hands of a law firm in Ontario, Canada, and they have told me they have exhausted my file because I am not...

Statutory rape laws ontario [ 1 Answers ]

My roommate is 27 yrs old and dating and having daily sex with a 17 yr old girl The biggest problem I have is the age difference itself but also is it a crime I live in the province of ontario . Ive threatened to go to the police myself about it but I'm unsure about how to go about it .Im a parent...

Collection Laws in Ontario [ 2 Answers ]

I have just read that in America if you get harassing calls from collection agency's you simply send them a letter asking them to cease and desist and by law they have to. Is this true in Ontario, Canada? My debt is for a car lease.

View more questions Search