Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alliesuecat Posts: 158, Reputation: 3

Nov 21, 2012, 01:11 PM
    Want to know about flight attendants.
    I am just considering maybe becoming a flight attendant but I want to know more about it. Anything that anybody knows would be helpful!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 21, 2012, 01:46 PM
    A long time ago, before I had kids, I looked in to becoming a flight attendant. My ex-boyfriend was training to be a commercial pilot, so he introduced me to some friends of his that were in the flight attendant field.

The facts are, you're a waitress in the sky. You work very long hours, in a very cramped plane, with screaming kids, upset people, running around to make sure they're comfortable and happy. You can't step outside to get away from it all.

There are times where you'll work 16 or more hours straight.

Yes, you get to fly all over the world. But most times you land, stay over night (after working a long shift) and then work a shift for the flight back home. You don't have the time to actually see any of the places you fly to.

The hours aren't great, it's not 9-5, sometimes it will be 9pm - 12 noon the next day.

It's really not as glamorous as most people think.

You have to ask yourself if this is something you can do long term. When you get married and have kids do you want to be away for 2 days or more at a time?

What is it that attracted you to this job? What are you expecting from it?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 21, 2012, 04:32 PM
    You get to fly all over the world only if you work for a company that is an international service. My sister was a flight attendant, she only traveled the continental US. Her husband is now an airline Captain. He flies the planes, all over the world. BUT, he is stationed in Dubai. A world away from family.

What would you like to know. I can ask her your questions and let you know what she says.
    alliesuecat Posts: 158, Reputation: 3

Feb 1, 2013, 05:38 PM
    Hello! Sorry I have not been on here in while. I really appreciate both of your answers! To answer both of you, I really can't explain why I am interested in this job. I have so many ideas and a flight attendant is only one of them. I need to do something that doesn't take too much education in other words I don't need to go to school for 4 or more years and I can just have fast training. Also I don't really want to get married so I need to be able to support myself. Do you know about how much the average flight attendant makes? Also if I were to be one I would probably be like your sister and only travel within this country.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flight Attendant [ 3 Answers ]

I have been thinking about getting a job as a flight attendant. I LOVE flying and traveling, so a job like this would be like my dream job. However, I am severely emetophobic, which means I have a fear of vomit. I know airsickness is common, but I don't want to let it stop me. But at the same...

Job objective for flight attendants [ 1 Answers ]

I am a nurse but I wanted to be a flight attendant. How can I construct my job ojective properly on my resume where I can ellaborate that I wanted to be more of a flight attendant than a nurse? I have no experience yet as a nurse. I just graduated.

Airlines/Flights from Germany with German speaking flight attendants [ 1 Answers ]

I have lived in the USA for 23 years. This June my 78 year old mother who does not speak any english will be flying from Frankfurt to Chicago to visit me. Which Airlines traveling the Frankfurt ( Or Munich ) to Chicago route ( non stop) have flight attendants that speak German and would be able to...

Time of Flight [ 2 Answers ]

Cancel...

Flight of dragons [ 2 Answers ]

Animated 80's about a board game a man enters and becomes a dragon,has to learn to become a dragon and to find his way back to the real world :confused: :(

View more questions Search