Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pjames Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2007, 07:25 PM
    Slander & libel what can I do?
    I own a restaurant that's been doing well the first 2 years, however I may have rubbed another preexisting restaurant that cater to the same specialties the wrong way. There are rumors that I'm using artificial creamers or dairies to thicken my broths. They are also saying that the only way our food taste so good is due to the heavy use of MSG. From day one we have not used anything but natural products to produce our broths.

I didn't pay too much attention to it in the beginning, but now I'm even hearing it from our loyal patrons that they are hearing this rumor through the grapevine and asking me if it's true! What can I do legally (probably nothing) or publicly to restore my restaurant's reputation? I haven't act on it so far but I'm sure I have to do something because my silence just fuel the negative rumors. Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance!
    Parajr Posts: 149, Reputation: 21

Mar 13, 2007, 07:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pjames
    I own a restaurant that's been doing well the first 2 years, however I may have rubbed another preexisting restaurant that cater to the same specialties the wrong way. There are rumors that I'm using artificial creamers or dairies to thicken my broths. They are also saying that the only way our food taste so good is due to the heavy use of MSG. From day one we have not used anything but natural products to produce our broths.

I didn't pay too much attention to it in the beginning, but now I'm even hearing it from our loyal patrons that they are hearing this rumor through the grapevine and asking me if it's true! What can I do legally (probably nothing) or publicly to restore my restaurant's reputation? I haven't act on it so far but I'm sure I have to do something because my silence just fuel the negative rumors. Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance!
    I know the law as it relates to slander and libel is differnet for private citizens and public ones. In your case I'm not sure if you are public because you are a restaurant.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Hello p:

You don't know who to sue or what they did (although you know they did something). Unless you can find out (and prove) who said what, you don't have a case.

Put out a press release. Make a new menu highlighting your healthy aspects. Break down the actual ingredients and maybe even compute the calories. Do a byline on the chef and his training. Put it on the menu. Invite customers into your kitchen. Invite your local newspaper to do a review. Do a cooking segment on your local TV. Invite the Food Network to do a profile. Do some catering yourself. Advertise. Hire a publicist. Did I say advertise??

These are just a few ideas. I'm sure you can think of more. Counter the rumors with the truth, trumpeted loudly!

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Criticism vs slander [ 8 Answers ]

What is the difference between legitimate criticism and slander?

Slander or just a bad reference [ 7 Answers ]

Recently I found out the General Manager of a former employer told a potential employer that I was a "trouble maker" and He recommended she "DO NOT HIRE" me. Before she checked with my former employer, this potential employer was very impressed by my qualifications and was talking to me as if I...

Can I sue for slander? [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings... I am a small business owner who has been slammed by a TV news "jourlanlist" and it is VERY bad. He made comments and statements that are not only inaccurate, but downright LIES! Do I have ANY hope of sueing for any damages at all? Please help, this could ruin my business! Thank...

Can I sue for slander? [ 7 Answers ]

I have been falsely accused of filing a lawsuit against a business. I use to work there and then I quit for a different job. The owner is pissed off because his business has suffered since I left the management position, so he has been telling all his customers that I am suing him for an accident...

Does anyone know if this is this slander? [ 7 Answers ]

My husband and I are in the midst of a divorce. He abruptly walked out on me on in December of 2005. I have a ton of circumstancial evidence proving that he is seeing another woman. He is currently residing with his friend and his friend's wife. The wife of his friend is related to his mistress. ...

View more questions Search