Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jillofalltradez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2007, 06:49 PM
    30 day notice requirements
    I live in California and my roommate, who was on a month to month arrangement just gave his 30 days notice on today the 13 of March stating that his last day will be April 12 and he will pay a prorated rate for April.

However, our spoken agreement for when rent would be paid was for the first of the month, and he has paid rent on the first of the month for his term so far.

I need to find the actual law on 30 day notices for tenants intent tovacate.

From what I remember if you pay rent from the first then you are obliged to 30 day notice at the end of a month. For example if you started paying from the first of the month you would have to give notice at the END of a month to give a proper months notice.

Please help me :)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2007, 07:44 PM
    Hello jill:

You're right. Notice must include a full rental period. In your case that's from the first to the end of the month.

You can find California landlord/tenant law on a sticky note at the top of this forum, if you need the particular paragraph.

excon
    jillofalltradez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 12:29 AM
    Hi excon,

Thank you for the reply.

I checked out the sticky but did not have much luck. It did mention giving notice for the full rental period but then it also said something about a pro-rated rate.

Am I looking at the wrong section?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

30 day notice [ 1 Answers ]

I were given a 30 day notice, but I were not behind in my rent at the time. In the past I were given permission to pay my rent late. The landlord on site state that I could pay my rent late as long as I paid it before the end od the month. I explain to my landlord that the reason that I had to...

30 day notice [ 1 Answers ]

We had a lease that expired on June 30 of 2006. We then went to month to month agreement. So now we want to move and gave a 30 day notice on the 12th of jan. 07 and our landlord is saying we have to give the 30 days at the beginning of the month. Is she wrong or right. We live in Wisconsin. We told...

California 30 day notice requirements [ 5 Answers ]

I just moved out of a home and had a disagreement with the landlord. I gave a 30 notice on the 17th or last month. Since the month had 31 days, I took that to mean that my tenancy was over on the 17th of the next month. When I moved in, I was required to pay first month (prorated since he wanted...

30 day notice [ 2 Answers ]

I am giving a 30 day notice on the first of the month and wanted to know if rent had to be paid during that time. I will actually be gone before the 30 days is up. A friend who owns and rents property told me that legally I am not required to pay but most people do because they don't know any...

30 day notice [ 5 Answers ]

If I put in a 30 day notice on the 5th and they did not get it until the 9th. The notice is dated the 5th can they make me stay or pay until the 9th even it I will be gone on the 2nd. Also can they evict me if I paid $375 which of which my security deposit was $850.00 and the rent is $1225. I...

View more questions Search