Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leeleechanda Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Nov 17, 2012, 11:28 PM
    Ways to motivate my friends?
    I have a few friends that are obese. They have expressed to me on numerous occasions that they would like to lose weight.
    One friend in particular has asked me many times to help her. Her diet consists of not eating anything at all for the whole day, and then bingeing on fatty fast foods and soft drinks.
    I have explained to her that if she wants to lose weight, she needs to change her diet. I have told her a lot of different foods that she can eat, but her response is always something like "I don't like that", or "ewww that's gross". I have asked her what she does like to eat, and I consider everything that she told me as unhealthy.
    I have even suggested going to some weight loss clinics to get started on a meal plan, but she "can't be bothered".

I know she wants to lose weight, I want to help her lose weight, but how can I make her see that she needs to put in some effort?

She is heavy enough that her weight can fluctuate 5kg (11 lbs) in a week. She thinks that it is weight loss, but I have told her that it is only fluctuation.
    She does absolutely no physical exercise whatsoever. She uses her knee as an excuse. She injured it in a skiing accident 6 years ago and had to get a knee reconstruction, and since then she has put on about 60kg (about 132lbs).
    She used to be a fairly active person, as she did dancing lessons 3-5 times a week, went to the gym, and did squad training in swimming for a while, and played tennis.
    Because she was fit her whole life, her weight stayed down no matter what food she ate. That is why she now has such bad eating habits.

I have tried going through some exercise with her. She can't do a push-up. She can't do a sit-up. She can't do squats. She can't throw more than 6 punches in a row. Everything I come up with, she will find an excuse not to do it.

I am at the point where I'm about to give up. I have been friends with her my whole life, and I am afraid that because of the weight she is, it might affect her long-term health. She has only just turned 22.

My other friends are the same age, and around the same weight. They also want to lose weight, but have been overweight their whole lives. One of them is physically active (I would actually go so far as to say her fitness level is on par with mine) as she does swim training everyday, and takes her wheel-chair bound brother for an hour long jog every day. It's just the amount of food she eats that holds her back, and the hidden calories that are in the food.
    The other friend has no interest in physical activity or diet. She works full time and parties every night, and claims she has no time to diet or exercise. No time, or no motivation?

I lost some weight over the past few months to try and motivate them and say "If I can do it, you can too". My BMI has always been under 25, so I did not need to lose any weight, but I thought it might motivate them. So far, it has not made any difference to their mindsets.

I know this is a marathon of a question, but I try to give as much information as possible so that the answers may be more accurate. I appreciate your help in advance :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 18, 2012, 02:50 AM
    You don't, they will lose weight when and only when they are motivated themselves to lose weight. You tell both of them, that this is not your burden. That you try to help but they refuse it.

Then you stop making it your problem, you can do nothing to make this happen, expect make them made at you for constant reminders about weight

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to write her ways are pleasant ways, and her paths are peace [ 0 Answers ]

I wanted to know if anyone knew how to write "her ways are pleasant ways, and her paths are peace in sanskrit?

3 friends felt something in 3 different ways [ 1 Answers ]

This girl woke up to see a figure standing by her bed she looked over to him,he said "oh no" while shaking his hands in a similar gesture and walked out the door as she seen the shadow of the door close behind him... a day later a friend told her she was a sleep when she felt something beside her...

How to self-motivate [ 5 Answers ]

OK, so what are some suggestions for motivating yourself? I've been struggling with personal issues in my life (which has changed 100% in the last 12 months) and I just CAN'T get on with it. For example: exercising - want to, just don't do it Hobbies, have a few, just don't do them (make up...

Motivate him? [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend of over a year and I go to the same college. However, I'm afraid that's going to change. He is obsessed with xbox360 and devotes his whole day to that. Other then going to class he plays xbox. His grades are very poor and he never studies. I have tried numerous times to get him going.....

How do you motivate somebody? [ 8 Answers ]

I've known my boyfriend for about 6 years and he is an amazing pianist. He composes his own work and anyone that has ever hear it cannot believe that he's not a famous composer. Everyone (friends, family, and strangers alike) think he is the next Mozart. I believe it too, and I know that if he...

View more questions Search