Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kess2010 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2012, 09:25 AM
    I filed bankruptcy on a vehicle, got the discharge, and now they won
    I filed ch 7 bankruptcy on my property and vehicle. I received my discharge. The gentleman who now owns the property wants the vehicle moved. How do I get the title holder to come get the vehicle? Can he charge them storage? How?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 16, 2012, 09:48 AM
    If you are not the owner of the vehicle, it's not your problem. Tell the owner of the property to work with the owner of the vehicle. And no, he can't charge them for storage without a contract. But if the car isn't moved after a reasonable period the land owner could contact the police to say there's an abandoned vehicle on his property, and they'll have it towed.

Nov 16, 2012, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    If you are not the owner of the vehicle, it's not your problem. Tell the owner of the property to work with the owner of the vehicle. And no, he can't charge them for storage without a contract. But if the car isn't moved after a reasonable period of time the land owner could contact the police to say there's an abandoned vehicle on his property, and they'll have it towed.
    Thank you, I was the owner of both. But my understanding of ch 7 is that they are no longer my debts or my property. So, does that change things?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 16, 2012, 10:31 AM
    Who has the title? Whoever has title is the owner of the vehicle. In chapter 7 cases its common to keep title to your car if you owned it free and clear (there was no outstanding loan). But if there was a loan outstanding the car may be repossesed, and I was assuming that's what happened here - correct me if I'm wrong. The judgment should be pretty clear about it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 16, 2012, 03:18 PM
    When you filed for bankruptcy proteciton under Chapter 7, one of the documents you should have filed would have been a "statement of intention as required by § 521(a)". In it, you should have said what you are going to do with the vehicle: keep it, surrender it to the secured creditor, etc.

What does it say you were going to do with the vehicle?

Nov 17, 2012, 07:23 AM
    They hold the title at the loan company. I surrendered the vehicle in my bankruptcy. What are my options?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2012, 07:47 AM
    It does not sound like you surrendered it, if they never took possession of it. Was someone from the loan company there, and formally accepted it ? Keys handed over ?

If you have a key to it, why not just move it or give a copy of the key to knew owner to allow him to move it to the road or something.

Have you given the property owner the name of the loan company ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bankruptcy before a lien was put onto the vehicle [ 1 Answers ]

If we filed Bankruptcy and the it was discharged before any lien was added to the vehicle, can they still add a lien?

Filed Ch. 7 Bankruptcy which listed 401K loan in the discharge then it was 1099nd. [ 1 Answers ]

We were under the impression that the 401k was settled as it was listed in the discharge documents. There was no notification that it was not included in the discharge of the ch.7 bankruptcy and then they 1099 us so we thought we were finished with it after we were hit with the sizeable tax bill. ...

Judgement filed after bankruptcy filed [ 3 Answers ]

I was summoned to appear in court on 4/15/05 for a delinqeunt debt to a credit card company. On 4/28/05, I filed bankruptcy but on my credit report the company filed a judgement on my report on 5/5/2005. Can they put a judgement on my credit after I have filed bankruptcy?

How can I stop them from repo my vehicle? (bankruptcy?) [ 4 Answers ]

I got behind on my payments, due to an injury. They came to get my vehicle today I said no. will filling bankrupcty stop them from taking it? Or how can I keep it for 30 days intill I can catch it up?

Vehicle bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

I file bankruptcy on my vehicle and was able to keep it as long as I kept make payments. The vehicle broken down on me and now I have to pay for repairs on it. I live check to check but need the vehicle to run so I can get myself to work. My question is if I am behind on payments can the loan...

View more questions Search