Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bfeidt Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2007, 11:34 AM
    Hanging bifold doors
    Since bifold doors do not come pre-hung, what size wood is best needed to create a finished door opening?
    EMERIL LAGASSE Posts: 101, Reputation: 4

Mar 17, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Use a wood jamb and casing to wrap opening
    Use drywall and corner bead to wrap opening
    Use drywall and corner bead to wrap opening then apply casing
    A48"wide door has a finish of 48" and so on BAM
    mayerkm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bfeidt
    Since bifold doors do not come pre-hung, what size wood is best needed to create a finished door opening?
    The casing you should look for is called half jam. It's approx. 1 1/2" wide, and usually 3/4" thick. It would sit at the very front of the finished opening and would act like a full door jam, in that it would create a fixing point for the external door casing/trim. The half jam would be installed to the laft and right hand side as well as the top.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

May 20, 2007, 07:15 PM
    Your Jamb Thickness Should Be 3/4 Your Jamb Width Needs To Be 4ft,5ft Or 6ft
    Those Are Standard Size Opening You Also Do Not Need To Alow For Margins For The Doors Make The Jamb Exactly One Of Those 3 As Far As Jamb Height You Can Make It 6ft 8 " Also The Jamb Material Needs To Be 4 1/2 This Accounts For The Framming And Drywall, Good Luck , Nichols Trim
    EZHangDoor Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2009, 03:45 PM

A bifold requires an opening the same size as the door. So if you have a 48" wide bifold you need a finished opening of 48". Most bifolds are slightly undersized, that's why you normally use the same finish opening as the door size. The height is 6'-8" tall too, as the doors are undersized for height also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Skin hanging under tongue. [ 3 Answers ]

I am just getting over a cold and during the cold I noticed an ulcer or cold sore ontop of my tongue for a few days. Now when I look under my tongue I have what looks like a piece of shin hanging down it is sore and hangs down about 1/8 of an inch. I have taken a picture for you to see. ...

Windows XP Pro Hanging up [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a problem with Windows hanging up at the shutdown screen after it has saved settings and is in the "Shutting Down" mode. Additionally the system seems to not want to start some programs when I launch them or freezes while they are loading or running. It is not consistent as to which...

Hanging Fluorescent lights [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased (6) 4'x1' t8 fluorescent lights for an unfinished storage room. My questions is am I best installing these lights directly parallel to the floor joists, or perpendicular to the joists. In my particular application I would prefer to hang the lights parallel to the joists. My...

Girlfriend hanging out with friends [ 13 Answers ]

My girlfriend of two years, who lives with me, has been recently having her friends (male/female) come over for drinks when I'm not around. Sometimes late at night when I'm at work. Her friends hardly ever come around when I'm home and we don't all go out together. Im going to be working night...

Hanging flex ducts [ 1 Answers ]

I am adding 2 rooms to my home. I have a forced air AC/Gas Furnace system that uses flexible ducts. They are lying on top of my joists and insulation. I read somewhere that they should be hung up. Should I do my 2 new rooms hung up? Why?

View more questions Search