Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Artisanie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2007, 09:29 AM
    I got a summon at my door for an unpaid credit card.
    I got a summon at my door from a lawyer and it said I have to appear in court in 20 days. I went to court and they told me I have to call the law firm first. They want to collect a debt for Chase for $6839. I owed $5400, I guess the interest kept growing for the last 3 years. How should I approach the law firm? Can I negotiate with them? Can I offer them $3500 to settle the debt. I don't have money for a lawyer. I am unemployed. Please advice.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2007, 10:09 AM
    They might take that as an innitial payment, call them and say you want to settle out of court and can pay 3500 now and see if they can work with you on a payment plan with the credit card company. I don't know if they would take a partial settlement, but it would be good to offer before committing to pay back the whole amount
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 13, 2007, 10:19 AM
    Doesn't hurt to offer a settlement. Most likely Chase has written off the debt and sold it, so anything they get is gravy. If they won't offer a settlement, then read the several similar threads in this forum. They will give you advice on how to deal with this.
    go-ask-mom Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Mar 14, 2007, 08:33 PM
    Yes NEGOTIATE!

They have sold your debt for pennies on the dollar to this creditor. I would call and tell them you'd like to settle this debt TODAY and make them an offer.
    I would offer no more tha 50% of the ORIGINAL debt. [Late fees and interest ARE commonly written off] If your original debt was 5400 then I would start with an offer of 2000. This way you can always negotiate upwards. Always leave yourself some wiggle room. :)

Also, when you make an offer be prepared to pay that day. This always perks their interest! They will want you to pay check/debit/credit- by phone that day. Tell them you want them to mail/fax you a letter stating they are accepting this as payment in full! That way there is no coming back for the rest of the amount OR something else they are doing is writing it off on taxes and YOU will be mailed a 1099 for the whole amount they write off... and of course this means additional income that YOU must claim for the year! So get their "payment in full" in writing! :)

Edited to add:
    If for some reason they will NOT accept an offer then tell them you'll see them in court... AND SHOW UP! This is your chance to tell the judge, hey, I called and offered a settlement amount and they would not accept it. As far as I'm concerned MY DEBT was NOT with THIS COMPANY/CREDITOR! [and legally its NOT] So show me a contract! THEY can not produce ANY contract between you and them whatsoever... YOUR debt is with CHASE, remember?! So show up in court and fight them... I don't think loopholes should make any of these "debt mongers" legal! Buh! :)
    markd723 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 09:38 PM
    You should check out clarkhoward.com and check out a link for CCCS of Atlanta

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which Is Better Debit Card Or Credit Card? [ 20 Answers ]

Which Is Better Debit Card Or Credit Card? We increase our Debts like any thing when we have Credit Card because we spend /buy the goods with free hand / shopping habits, in this case will it not be a better to keep a debit card instead of a credit card? :confused: What are your views on...

How long is an unpaid eviction on any credit reports [ 3 Answers ]

8 years ago I was a co-signer on an apartment with my boyfriend. I was just about 18 or 19 yrs old. We got evicted and after establishing a residence we contacted our former landlord and started making monthly payments but never finished paying the total amount due. We never heard anything from...

Judgement from unpaid credit card [ 1 Answers ]

I have a judgement against me. I'm married but the credit card was just in my name. I want to pay this in installments, but I'm not sure if I should contact the original creditor or the collection agency? Does it make a difference?

Credit card [ 2 Answers ]

Why would a credit card company offer to take a settlement of $4,700 on a debt of $29,000?

I Need Credit Card [ 2 Answers ]

I Need Credit Card To Purchase Some Books

View more questions Search