Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DanKSmith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2005, 08:06 AM
    Low Hot Water Pressure - Solved!
    My house has fine water pressure for cold water and weak water pressure on the hot water side. This is consistent at all outlets. I suffered with this problem for years and finally got frustrated and tore things apart to see if I could locate the problem. (Turn off the electric to your tank.)

The problem turned out to be that there was a 'clog' at the hot water tank inlet. Inside of the threaded inlet is a plastic insert that 'reduces' the pipe size from 3/4" to 1/2". This plastic insert 'caught' something (pebble? I don't know what) that I dislodged (pushed into the hot water tank) with a screw driver. I then pried up and removed the insert so that it would not catch anything else in the future.

I installed this tank many years ago myself. If memory serves me right this insert was provided by the manufacturer as a method of equalizing pressure between the cold and hot water sides of the system. My main is 3/4" and the cold water takes off from it with 1/2" piping. The main also enters the top of the hot water tank at 3/4" and leaves the hot water tank at 3/4", but at this tank discharge end it is immediately reduced to 1/2". So both the hot and cold water plumbing are ultimately 1/2" throughout the remainder of the house. The tank manufacturer evidently thought it better for the tank (why I do not know) that if the hot water was to be reduced, that it was preferable for it to be reduced at the tank inlet end.

What may work well for the tank screwed up my whole hot water system
    When this pipe constriction caught debris and clogged up!

As I said, I cleared the clog by punching through it with a screwdriver. That material fell to the bottom of the tank. I attached a garden hose to the outlet at the bottom of the hot water tank and stretched it to the basement drain. Then I emptied the tank (reminder: turn electric off to tank). Then I opened up the main and flushed the tank. I hope the debris is gone. I hear doing this extends the life of the tank anyway.

Put her all back together and it now works fine! I now have great water pressure all over the house. I then treated myself to a new shower nozzle -one that pulses or sprays or mists and combinations thereof - and am enjoying being the hero of the household!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2005, 09:47 AM
    Great. Likely that plastic insert was part of a dielectric union. Everybody knows that connecting copper pipes directly to a steel tank causes corrosion. However Tom reports that the tanks and pipes don't know it. Sounds like it is like the dogs not reading what the experts in the books say about dogs.

Did the inlet have a plastic tube that went down to the bottom of the tank? The plan is for the incoming cold water to go to the bottom of the tank to be heated, pushing the hot water to the top and out. Otherwise, the incoming water comes right back out the outlet. Great. Likely that plastic insert was part of a dielectric union.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Increase Hot Water Pressure w/Water pump? [ 3 Answers ]

Would a Watts Premier Hot Water Recirculation Pump (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11026121&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=&s=1) (or any other brand name) help to increase hot water pressure if you install it directly to the hot water output pipe and then turn it on ONLY while taking a...

Water pressure/water softener? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a "waterfall" faucet in my tub (separate shower). I turned on the water to the tub the other day and it barely runs. Then tonight my daughter was running the tub faucet and I had no hot water pressure to the kitchen. This has never been a problem. I understand from reading that we may...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

Ecu Problem Solved [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I just registered to this forum and this is my first post. I would like to thank the people who had the answes to my problem and also tell those of you with ecu problems to search these forums for their answers. If it can break chances are it already has, to someone else. My honda civic would...

View more questions Search