Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gsmartin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 06:01 PM
    Electric Baseboard Unit not shutting off
    Hello,

I have a house that is all electric that was built about 45 years ago and we purchased some 17 years ago. One of the heat circuits which heats the livingroom, dining room and entry has three baseboards {appears to be a MEARS} that are controlled by one thermostat. We have shut off the thermostat and while two of the baseboards have turned off the one in the livingroom stays on. While this doesn't always happen it has happened more lately and today to test it I opened up the side panel on the baseboard and proceeded to unhook one of the connections (the thermostat was turned off) got a couple of sparks and then placed wire nuts on the end of each of the exposed wires. The baseboard is now off.

Question 1: why would the baseboard stay on even if the thermostat (brand new and tested) is turned off?

Question 2: how might this be fixed?

Thanks for your input.
    gsmartin
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2007, 03:26 PM
    I never assume that a wall thermostat actually controls all the baseboards you think it should. An electrician should probably be called with a line tracer to find the issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Baseboard Timer [ 8 Answers ]

I Wish To Install A Mechanical Timer In An Existing Electric Baseboard Heating System. What Would I Use And How Can This Be Accomplished? The timer should be an hour or less. NOTE: I have a good working knowledge of electricity. I simply need to know about the needed parts.

State Select Electric Hot Water Heater Shutting Off [ 27 Answers ]

We have a fairly new electric State Select brand hot water heater that recently began shutting off and we have to use the reset button to turn it back on. We cannot locate the owners manual and do not know how to adjust the elements to correct this issue. Can anyone help or tell us what could...

Replacement of electric unit with gas unit in mobile home [ 2 Answers ]

#1 Dec 27, 2006, 10:32 PM vcavina New Member Join Date: Dec 2006 Location: California Posts: 7 Electrical wall heater in single wide mobile home

Electric baseboard heaters [ 3 Answers ]

One of my electric baseboard heaters makes a high pitched hum when turned on to 70 degrees, unlike the others. What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

Electric baseboard help [ 1 Answers ]

We have just tried to turn on our electric baseboard heat for the season and only one room comes on. There is a thermostat in every room and I can hear them click but no heat is generating. What can be wrong?? We have checked the breakers and they are on and have juice. Please someone HELP me! I...

View more questions Search