Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timnotis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2012, 07:06 AM
    2 switches 1 power source from an outside light
    Power source is coming into switches from the light. Want to run power to a second light from the switch. How do I jump the power source. Using 14/2 already run. Don't really have a choice to replace
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2012, 09:57 AM
    Are there any wire nutted white or ground wires in the switch box? If the switch power is coming into the switch box from the light, you most likely have a switch loop and you will not be able to add any circuit since there is, most likely, no neutral.
    shuntripper Posts: 180, Reputation: 8

Nov 2, 2012, 04:48 PM
    You could take the neutral and the switch leg from the existing light fixture over to another light fixture, if you don't mind both of them coming on at the same time.

If that 14-2 is the only cable into a single gang switchbox , it's just the constant hot coming in and the switch leg going back out, plus a ground wire. You don't have a neutral down in the switch box.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One power source, two switches [ 2 Answers ]

If I have one power source coming in, do I just pigtail the black wire to the two swtches and wire nut the white wires together? Also do I pigtail the ground to the switchor just wire them all together?I am running 12-2 wire. And controlling two different light sources. Also on 15amp breaker,...

Wiring an inside light and an outside light one power source and two switches [ 4 Answers ]

I want to wire an inside light and an outside light with two switches and one incoming power source. With the two switches are in the same box

Can I use pigtails to connect two three-way switches to one power source? [ 1 Answers ]

One power source to two three way switches?

How to wire three switches in a line off one power source? [ 1 Answers ]

I have built a new 2 piece bathroom and I have 3 separate switches all right beside each other and I want to power all 3 from one feed. (one is for the bathroom light, one is for the fan and the other is the hall light) How do I wire them so that they all work independently?

Running two switches from ine power source through junction box [ 1 Answers ]

I have come up against a problem with some electrical in my house. The previous owners did some very "inventive" things and I am trying to re-wire some lighting in my kitchen. Here's the situation. I have power coming into a junction box (not the best I know, but old house). The power is to...

View more questions Search