Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    01732236006 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2012, 02:26 AM
    Living in the same house with In-laws
    Salaam. I am a 28 year old married Bangladehi Muslim girl. I have completed education till masters and am working. I would describe myself as an independent minded girl but I have the intention of following Islamic rulings.

I have been living with mother-in-law and younger sister-in-law (who will get married soon inshaallah) since my marriage for last 3.5 years. My husband requested for this and I agreed with good intention. My in-laws are very good people, care for me, give me my own space and never misbehave with me. My husband is very loving and caring and I love him with all my heart. We haven't taken a baby yet.

But over the time, I am feeling the need of my separate territory. Even with good relationship, sometimes its hard to match mentality with other people. I do not mean that I want to live far away from my in-laws but I would like to live next door to my mother-in-law. We would meet and greet and care for each other everyday but that way I would be the lady of my household and she will be of her's.

My husband is not willing to live even next door to his mother. I know in Islam I should keep my husband happy but I am also an educated girl of this century and I have my own optinions. Do I not have the Islamic right to demand separate lodging if I ever feel that I definitely do not want to live and raise my children (inshaAllah) in the same house with my mother- in- law anymore? And would my husband be labeled as a bad son if he takes care of his mother by living next door to her?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 1, 2012, 04:14 AM
    I am neither Muslim nor an expert on Islam, but want to make a practical suggestion, since I have a feeling that this question doesn't have an exact answer under Islamic rules.
    Your husband's mother has lost her husband (it sounds like), so it makes sense that your husband wants to take care of her, and there may be financial considerations to think about too. Will his sister need a dowry? Who will pay for her wedding? Where will they live?
    Maybe after she is married, and depending on whether they will live with all of you, you and your husband can start talking again about living in your own home. She could take over as the younger one who helps take care of her mother. But your husband may feel that as the 'man of the house' he needs to stay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laws on children living with convicted felons [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter is living with someone who is a convicted felon for domestic violence, and drugs, can she lose custody of my 2 year old grandson?

Laws about living rent free in Tennessee [ 3 Answers ]

How long does a person have to live in a residence or stay with someone to be considered a tenant /

What are the laws on inheritance for children of a deceased parent with a living spou [ 2 Answers ]

My brother and I are the only living children of my mother. She passed in 07. Her husband, our step father adopted us as children. Therefore he is our father leagally. The property he and my mother owned together is being mortgaged away to support his gambling habit. He tried to do a reverse...

How do I get the guy living on my couch out of my house [ 25 Answers ]

Here is my situation A friend of my boyfriend has been living on my couch for several months now in between a 20 day jail stent. He has not had a job or paid rent since he has been here. His temper runs hot and cold all the time. There have been issues in my home since he has been here between he...

View more questions Search