Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    M21519 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2007, 07:07 PM
    Adding attic insulation
    I recently bought a house and want to add insulation to the attic, the existing insulation has the vapor barrier facing down to the sheetrock and there is a section where it appears that there is a silver aluminum vapor facing up. My question is If I want to add at least 3" of insulation what type do I get, The insulation with no vapor barrier? or with a barrier? I intend to put 3/4" plywood down on top of the rafters so I can have a storage space. Thanks mike
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 13, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by M21519
    I recently bought a house and want to add insulation to the attic, the existing insulation has the vapor barrier facing down to the sheetrock and there is a section where it appears that there is a silver aluminum vapor facing up. My question is If I want to add at least 3" of insulation what type do I get, The insulation with no vapor barrier? or with a barrier? I intend to put 3/4" plywood down on top of the rafters so I can have a storage space. thanks mike
    Ok Mike, I see what you are doing, I think. Building up a single blanket of batts between ceiling joists with another one on top is no problem. Minimize compressing the fluffed up batts when putting on the new ply sub-floor. Compressing insulation reduces the air pockets to a lower R value of the original design. Insulation batts come in 3 1/2 and 5 1/2 inch thickness and 16" or 24" widths of standard framing widths.
    When rolled out they must be expanded (fluffed) to their thickness for optimum value. Moisture barrier craft or foil is always faced inward toward living areas.
    M21519 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 06:11 PM
    If I am adding 3" on top of the old insulation do I get the insulation without the vapor barrier. The old insulation has its barrier against the sheetrock. In addition i have section of the attic that has old insulation with a black vapor barrier against the sheetrock and another foil barrier facing up. Can I put an additional 3" on top of the foil?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2007, 06:44 PM
    Conventional wisdom says a vapor barrier on the outside of insulation can lead to condensation and R value killing dampness and rot. So what you want is the one vapor barrier you already have next to sheet rock. It might be interesting to check the section with the foil on the top. It should be trapping moisture under it. Some moisture will always pass through any vapor barrier. You want it to be free togo out the roof vents.

I wouldn't take any chances. If there isn't any vapor barrier next to the sheet rock, I would turn it with the foil down. Then I would add batts without a vapor barrier or loose fill to the top of the joists. Be sure and leave room for air to circulate from the fascia vents up through between the plate and roof sheathing. Good air circulation is the key to avoiding condensation and ice dams.
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 14, 2007, 08:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by M21519
    if i am adding 3" on top of the old insulation do I get the insulation without the vapor barrier. The old insulation has its barrier against the sheetrock. In addition i have section of the attic that has old insulation with a black vapor barrier against the sheetrock and another foil barrier facing up. Can I put an additional 3" on top of the foil?
    Sure, barrier is in, you can even blow your insulation in if there is a material house that loans the equipment, providing there is a minimum purchase. Putting another layer over the foil doesn't compromise anything either. Nm
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

May 19, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Id Get Some R 13 With No Backing , The Barrier Sounds Like Its Already There, Hope This Helps , Nichols Trim And Carpentry

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Attic plumbing [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Im looking for info on adding a complete bathroom to my attic, my question Is really about the drains, I want to ad a shower, tiolet, sink. There is a bathroom almost directly (about 3ft over ) below where I would like to put this. I was wondering if I can connect to the drains...

Insulation [ 1 Answers ]

I live in the state of Massachusetts,so it very cold here.when I take the old window out and the weight of the window what type of insulation should I put in the gap inside. Thanks

Insulation [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering what the pros and cons are to putting insulation on the ceiling of a basement. The reason for my asking is someone has told me that it isn't wise because cold air doesn't rise anyways(I already knew that) and you would cut any heat off coming from the boiler and water heater that...

Revent 1st floor fixtures when adding attic 1/2 bath? [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, thanks ahead of time for any help you can offer. My house is a cape cod. I'm converting the attic into master suite with half bath. (yes, I had it checked, I have egress/access/structural support). My question deals with reventing. It is my understanding that all current vents have to be...

Attic bathroom [ 5 Answers ]

Hi - we want to add a bathroom in our attic, right above existing bathrooms, but can't do 'the right thing' with running a new vent stack line to tie in fixtures below the existing units. My question is: If we put in this bathroom, which would be wet venting everything, what problems will it...

View more questions Search