Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maria815 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2007, 03:05 PM
    Can I sue for slandering?
    I have a neighbor who is constantly stateing false information about myself and my husband. She has gone as far as filing false accusations in court, my question is can I sue for slandering? Please help
    :o :confused:
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2007, 07:03 AM
    Hello Maria:

Suing is one thing (anybody can sue anybody for anything). Winning is another.

There are two parts to a slander suit; 1) liability and 2) damages. If you prove your neighbor lied, then you'll win the first part. However, in order to win the second part, you'll need to prove to the court exactly how much their lies cost you. I don't think you can do that.

excon
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2007, 07:09 AM
    I agree - what can you prove that the lies cost you and your husband? What is the price for character assassination? Wouldn't you think by now that anyone else around this woman knows her character by now? Does anyone really listen to her? If you and your husband completely ignored her attempts, would she stop? Eventually? I do not know this woman but there are those that just love to rile someone up because they can.

I'd be tempted to sue, but what would I win? I would lose time, money, increase my blood pressure, increase my stress levels, and all for what? I would sooner turn my back on this woman and never ever engage in any kind of civility again. Not saying I would go out of my way to run her over, but I would not be bringing her fresh baked cookies either.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue for slander? [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings... I am a small business owner who has been slammed by a TV news "jourlanlist" and it is VERY bad. He made comments and statements that are not only inaccurate, but downright LIES! Do I have ANY hope of sueing for any damages at all? Please help, this could ruin my business! Thank...

Parents sue me? [ 5 Answers ]

OK my parents bought me a car it was 3800 I was paying them monthly I lost my job and haven't been able to pay them I currently owe them 1745... they took me to court and sued me but I don't know how this is possible there was no signature only verbal agreement. But they didn't turn in...

Can I sue a newspaper for slander? [ 16 Answers ]

Recently I placed advertisements with a local independent newspaper. I was late on paying my bills with the owner of the newspaper. The paper then decided to run negative ads about my business, stating I have "sub-par" products, and why shop at my store when there are perfectly better stores like...

Can I sue for slander? [ 7 Answers ]

I have been falsely accused of filing a lawsuit against a business. I use to work there and then I quit for a different job. The owner is pissed off because his business has suffered since I left the management position, so he has been telling all his customers that I am suing him for an accident...

View more questions Search